DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

Hi, I own a Landrover Discovery(probably 1997 model) and recently

Hi, I own a Landrover Discovery(probably 1997 model) and recently I have been having problems with the engine cutting out and sometimes a delay after turning the key before she starts. Each time the engine is completely dead as if there is no battery under the bonnet. Can you help? Ray
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Is the vehicle turning over when it cuts out?

Or do you turn the key and it does nothing?

Do the lights on the dash light up when turning the key?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the vechile is sometimes turning when it cuts out
And somtimes when I turn the key nothing happens
Yes the dashboards lights come on as well
You may also wish to know that when then engine cuts out, the radio and clock cuts out also
After a few moments it will usually start but, most often I have caused a mini traffic Jam
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you may not be getting a good connection at the starter. Try this it has been known to fix this type of issue. Get a star washer which is a washer that has points around it so it digs in when you tighten it down. It needs to fit the main power cable stud on the starter. Remove the nut and take off the cable and install the washer in between the starter and the power cable and install the nut and tighten it down and see what happens. Below is what a star washer looks like just in case you havent seen one before.