Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

2003 saab: sedan..The dreaded gearbox malfunction..tranny

Customer Question

I have a 2003 saab 9-3 sedan with automatic triptronic transmission. The dreaded gearbox malfunction on my display has shown up. After driving it for maybe 5 miles the tranny started slipping in first gear. My mechanic ran the diagnostic and recommended changing the sensor which he did, Car was fine for maybe another 5 miles and then the gearbox malfunction display again. Took it back and he now says I need a new tranny. Help please. First question is could it be something else, second question is how much to replace tranny, used and rebuilt/new. Would you trust a used tranny. I'm stressed please help!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

You must have the sun to factory scan tool in order to read the transmission codes on this model. Please tell me what the exact numeric trouble code is that your mechanic retrieved. This way I will be able to give you some more specific advice. If you are replacing the transmission I would definitely go with either a rebuilt or a new transmission, the use transmission will save you some money but unfortunately you can't always be sure of the quality of what you're buying. You'll be investing a good deal of money and a rebuilt transmission will come with a good warranty