david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

98 saab and I think i need a new alternator. What should it cost?

i have a 98 saab and I think i need a new alternator. What should it cost?
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

If you are doing the repairses yourself the alternator will cause around $250.00 but you will get $100 to $150 back when you bring back the bad one. This is called a core charge.

If you are looking to have a shop do the work it is about an hours to remove and replace the alternator.

If you need instructions to replace the alternator just ask

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will not be doing the repairs. What can I expect to pay in a major city? How long will it extend the life of my car?
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
The cost will depend on the shop you have do the work what you should do is call around an ask what there hourly rat. It should not tack any longer then 1 1/2 hours to replace the alternator on your car.

The alternator is a electrical generator it charges the battery along with running the electrical items in the car as the engine runs. ie. headlights, radio and all of the electric engine controls.

It is hard to know how long a new alternator will extend the life of your car
But it will make your car run more efficiently.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should the repair cost more than $1,000?
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
NO not even close at most $200 and that is on the high end it is only a 1 1/2 hour job.

Were did you get this quote? The dealer?
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines