danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

I have a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon with the 4 cylinder motor and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon with the 4 cylinder motor and automatic transmission.
The problem I'm having is after driving my car for about 10 minutes when the car shifts from 2 to 3rd i get a hard shift but if I use the sport shifter I dont have that problem the only thing I have to do is make sure my rpm's are below 2000 and it shifts fine

I took the car to the dealer and they said the fluids were fine but needed to be changed and then they informed me that they didnt know what the problem was and then gave me a quote for either a new computer ($1,438.73) or a new transmission ($3,663.89)
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.

06-40-013 This is a trouble shooting nuttetin that may have related issues with your symptoms.

This involves looking into the sport mode switch. I dont think you are in that serious for a computer or tranny.

Subject
AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE "SHIFTRONIC" DIAGNOSIS

This TSB supersedes bulletin 02-40-013-1 to add new models.

DESCRIPTION:

If you are servicing a vehicle equipped with a "SHIFTRONIC(TM)" automatic transaxle that has the following symptoms, refer to the repair procedure shown below:

^Will not shift in "D" position, but shifts correctly in "Sports Mode"

^Will not upshift or downshift in "Sports Mode"

TEST PROCEDURE:

Attach a Hi-Scan Pro or GDS and select:

^Hyundai Vehicle Diagnosis

^"Automatic Transaxle", "Current Data"

1.SPORTS MODE SELECT SWITCH TEST:

With ignition key "ON" and engine off, select "Sports Mode Select Switch."

Check the operation of the select switch when the shift lever is moved from "D" to "Sports Mode" and back.

2.SPORTS MODE UPSHIFT & DOWNSHIFT SWITCH TEST:

Select:

^"Sports Mode Up Switch", F1 "FIX"

^"Sports Mode Down Switch.", F1 "FIX"

^F2, "SCRN" two times (this will isolate top two data to provide a quick refresh rate)

Shift the Sports Mode lever to the upshift and downshift positions and check the operation of the switches:

SWITCH BOX REPLACEMENT (2001~SANTA FE & XG, 2002 SONATA & 2003 TIBURON):

If the switches do not operate as shown above, proceed as follows:

1.Refer to the appropriate shop manual, "Body" section and remove the center console.

2.Check the wiring visually for an open or short circuit. Check related connectors for pins that are bent or not fully inserted. If ok, go to step 3.

3.Refer to the appropriate shop manual, "Automatic Transaxle Control System" section and replace the switch box assembly.

GEAR SHIFT LEVER REPLACEMENT (2006 SONATA & AZERA, 2007 SANTA FE):

^Refer to the appropriate shop manual, 'Body" section, to remove the center console.

^Check the wiring visually for an open or short circuit. Check related connectors for pins that are bent or not fully inserted. If ok, go to step 3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not a mechanic so just about every bit of that confussed the heck out of me lol

from what you described it some what sounds like it but then it doesnt

As I stated in my first question while driving without using the sporty shifter the car shift fine until it warms up, once i drive it for about 10 minutes it shifts hard and i mean HARD but if I use the sporty shifter I can shift but if I dont let the rpm's drop belows 2000 the transmission doesn't engage but once it does drop below 2000 the transmission engages
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.
I just think there is a chance that you may not need those major repairs. sounds like they are just guessing. Your exactly right about the bulletin sounding kinda close but not. I think there is a possibility for just a switch so I am recommmmencding you to get another opinion by a qualified shop. Call hyndai also. see if they have had similar complaints from service departments.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've called Hyundai's main office and the only thing they said was to call my dealer and talk to them again. I've gone to other shops and they all have told me to go to the dealer and i agree with you they are doing nothing but guessing
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.
Ok dealer ships really dont specialize in transmissions they are a different animal, and I think it would be best for you to go to an exclusive transmission shop like amce transmissions or your local one. They can use the trans scanner they have to find exact issue. This will involve a test drive and scanning at the same time. working in and out of each gear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did as you suggested and still came up with no answers, all the transmission shops would say was to take it back to the dealer
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.
This very frustrating for you. I am still leaning toward the sport mode pdf. And I would travel to a dealer with top notch service department. If you have been offered a extended warranty I might take atvantage of it as well. since you have not been diagnosed I would say its not preexisting yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Daniel I appreciate the help you have tried to give me but everything you've suggested I've already tried so I'm gonna see if someone on here can help