Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

99 olds: v..Alero..Showes a code of misfire cylinder

I have a 99 olds car that has a v-6 engine. Alero. Showes a code of misfire cylinder 3. Replaced plugs, wires, erased cods came back same code. swaped places with 2 coils. erased code came back misfire cylinder 3 again. What do I do. Thanks very much Terry
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,how are you?This means that cylinder #3 fuel injector is dead and is in need of replacement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not know this car had injectors, I have not noticed them, are they hidden under something?

Yes,they are under the intake manifold.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Remove the upper intake manifold, as outlined in the Engine Mechanical Section.
  3. Remove the engine compartment fuel pipe retainer bolt.
  4. Disconnect the engine fuel feed pipe at the fuel rail.
  5. Disconnect the engine fuel return pipe at the fuel pressure regulator.
  6. Remove the fuel feed pipe and fuel return pipe O-rings and discard.
  7. Disconnect the main injector harness electrical connector.
  8. Disconnect the connectors from the fuel injectors, as follows:
    1. Pull up the lock release (2) of the fuel injector connector.
    2. Depress the lock tab (1) and lift the connector from the injector.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Detach the fuel injector connectors by pulling up on the lock release (2), then depress the lock tab (1) and lift the connector from the injector

9. Remove the injector harness from the fuel rail.
  10. Disconnect the coolant temperature sensor electrical connector.
  11. Remove the fuel rail attaching bolts.
  12. Remove the fuel rail assembly.
  13. Remove the injector O-ring seal from the spray tip end of each injector. Discard the seals.

To install:

NOTE Note the following:

Use care when servicing the fuel system components, especially the fuel injector electrical connectors, the fuel injector tips, and the injector O-rings. Plug the inlet and the outlet ports of the fuel rail in order to prevent contamination. Do not use compressed air to clean the fuel rail assembly as this may damage the fuel rail components. Do not immerse the fuel rail assembly in a solvent bath in order to prevent damage to the fuel rail assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the fuel rail mounting

1. Install the fuel rail assembly into the intake manifold. Tilt the rail assembly to install the injectors.
  2. Install the fuel rail attaching bolts. Tighten the fuel rail attaching bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  3. Connect the coolant temperature sensor electrical connector.
  4. Install the injector electrical harness to the fuel rail.
  5. Connect the injector electrical connectors. Push the slide locks (2) into the locked position.
  6. Connect the main injector harness electrical connector.
  7. Install the new O-rings on the fuel feed pipe and fuel return pipe.
  8. Connect the fuel feed pipe to the fuel rail. Tighten the fuel feed pipe fitting to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
  9. Connect the fuel return pipe to the fuel pressure regulator. Tighten the fuel return pipe fitting to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
  10. Install the engine compartment fuel pipe retainer bolt. Tighten the fuel pipe retainer bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  11. Install the upper intake manifold.
  12. Connect the negative battery cable.
  13. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
    1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF .
    4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.