Meister Tech
Meister Tech, Diagnostic Meister Tech
Experience:  18 years of Factory Diagnostic experience with Euro and Domestics.
33251536

Passenger side power window will go

Customer Question

passenger side power window will go down but not back up with either switch. 2001 jeep cherokee
Category: Car
Expert:  Meister Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am a Factory Certified Master Techncian with Porsche, Jaguar, Audi and VW and Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge. I have ASE Master certifications

It can be the passenger window switch or the master switch on the driver side. This requires the use of a scan tool to diagnose or at least a digital volt meter to test the circuit. Most likely it is the passenger window switch most of the time though.

But testing must be done.

S.Vizcarra
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I fix it. passenger side window switch still lights up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I fix the switch
The LED light being lit does not matter. Remove the drivers door panel and use a voltmeter and test for 12v at the indicated points in the wire diagram. You need to check the battery voltage coming out of the drivers side master switch connector and check for 12v, if you don't get this then its the switch. If you do get 12v then remove the passenger side door panel and check the wiring for 12v and if you get this then its the passenger switch. I have uploaded the wire diagram through just-answers tech support. It might take a while to get the file, but rest assured that I have sent it.

Thank you,
S.Vizcarra
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
switches on driver side work for other three windows. might this mean it is the passenger side switch? I'm trying to make this repair as quick as possible.
At this point I believe without testing that the passenger side switch may be the problem. But, you will be 100% sure only if you test with voltmeter. I have seen either switch cause with about the same frequency of failure rates.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what does the B+ mean that you wrote on the drawing .and how do I do the test. what am I testing. a wire on something. then what do I do replace something. one thing after another is going on this car and im already broke.
B+ is Battery voltage of 12.0 at least. You could by a test light at a parts store and use the sharp end of the probe and stick into the rear of the connector where you see the wire color on the diagram. If you have the test light get bright when you press the passenger window switch in the up position then just go and replace the passenger side. Do this test on the driver side window switch module connector with the wire color Brown/White. So just push the test light into the back end of the wire where it goes into the connector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just spoke to my jeep dealer service dept. and they said they never heard of such a thing. they said it was the motor.
There are always some failure patterns, but for someone to just say its this part without doing some testing is just a big expensive guess. If the dealer sells you a motor and its not the problem, they will end up calling you and saying, oh, now its this and this part made the motor go bad. That way they wont lose the labor and parts charge for the motor even though it ends up being something else. I know how this works because I see it in the dealer with other techs every so often.

If the motor was bad, it would not work at all.
At least have someone test the circuit or put power directly to the motor in one pin then the other to make it go in both directions. Thats what should be done.

Thank you

Please click on Accept if you are satisfied with my Technical Analysis.

Sebastian V.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I pulled the passenger door panel off and I see a connector about 2" long up top that plugs into the switch on the door.It has about 8 wires coming out the back of it, brown-white,yellow, brown etc. Is this the one I check or is it the one down by the motor that I can't reach. From the wiring diagram it looks like the one down by the motor that has just a br and vt wire . Or do both connectors need to be checked ?

check at the motor connector, wire color brown and activate the switch and then probe the Vt wire and activate the switch from the driver side then the passenger side switch, to isolate which switch or leg of the circuit is the problem. If you get power to the motor on both wires and the motor doesn't move then its your motor. If you don't get any power its most likely your driver switch or passenger window switch.
Meister Tech, Diagnostic Meister Tech
Experience: 18 years of Factory Diagnostic experience with Euro and Domestics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to pull driver side panel today and checkthe switch. Before I do it I want to make sureI am checking the correct part.

Is this the switch that I see pictured for sale on the internet for $60-80, it sort of looks like a tv remote?

Where is it located, up by the switches on the door panel or down at the bottom by the regulator and does it look the same on the passenger side?

If I find that the switch is the problem, what do I need to do to replace it, does it just plug in or do I have to disconnect wires and rewire it by hand?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no more info needed. my mechanic raised the window for free.and told me what was wrong. Thank you for the help. I knew enough info not to get ripped off and help him diagnose problem. I will use this service again. thank you sebastian!

Thank you