DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

Mazda: 100,000 miles and I am trying to decide whether to keep it

I have a Mazda 5 with 100,000 miles and I am trying to decide whether to keep it or replace. what kind of replacement and maintenance costs should I expect during the next 50,000 miles?
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

How well have you maintained the vehicle up to now?

Is there anything wrong with the vehicle now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done all of the scheduled maintenance and oil changes. I just had the 100,000 service performed this week and they reported leaks in the struts and shocks and recommend they be replaced.
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

That is the first thing that I would worry about. The struts will go bad over time. You may have a cv axle boot crack and joint go bad. You may also start to have oil leaks due to mileage and seals cracking and going bad. Axles you may be looking at around $250 a piece to replace. Oil leaks vary depending on what may be leaking. As far as maintenance you will be looking at around $50-$100 for you routine services. Since you have taken care of the car and if you addressed all problems you have had then the car should be pretty sound. I dont think you will have any mechanical issues and the car should last you a while.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what should I expect to pay for the shock and strut replacement?
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

If you go to an independent shop you may be looking at around $350 and if you go to the dealer it will be atleast $100 more.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said I might experience oil leaks and seals cracking due to mileage. What would you expect to be an average cost for this?
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
It all depends on what is leaking if it is a valve cover it may be a a few hundred if it is a rear main seal you will have to either remove the engine or transmission to replace it. If it is a front crank seal it requires removing the timing belt. So this would be more around $700-$1000. If you dont have any oil leaks now that is great but even if it starts leaking slightly it is almost to be expected once you get up into mileage. Oil leaks are something that can be dealt with as long as you check the oil regularly. But the better you have maintained the car the longer everything will last.