MastertechRobert
MastertechRobert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech/Smog Tech 35 years exp.

3000 GT: PUT USED MOTOR..AT ALL SEEMS LIKE EVERY GEAR IS NEUTRAL

92 MITS 3000 GT 6CLY. PUT USED MOTOR IN CAR EORKS GOOD ,BUT I DROVE FOR A WHILE . IT DROVE GOOD NOW IT DOES NOT GO INTO GEAR AT ALL SEEMS LIKE EVERY GEAR IS NEUTRAL. I MANUALY SHIFTED IT FROM UNDER HOOD WHILE CAR RUNNING. CAR IS ON JACKSTANDS. I ALSO TURNED KEY TO ON POSITION I SHIFTED GEARS BY HAND UNDERHOOD AND I HEAR CLICK CLICK ON EVERY GEAR. I PUT TRANY OIL IN IT .
Category: Car
Expert:  MastertechRobert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just Answer. You did not say whether you have a manual trans or and automatic. If this is a manual transmission it sounds very much likke you have fried clutch. That is kind of obvious, so you must have an automatic. Fluid level correct you should get at least reverse. But try unplugging your Trottle Position sensor. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry its automatic ill try that . i dont get it why the tps
Well some early 90's Japense cars would not go into gear if the tcm 'saw' an open throttle. But you should have reverse, I believe. 1992 was awhile ago, Now that I am certain which transmission you havewill check my at work data base. But if your fluid level is good and you do not have reverse, things do not look good. But wait til I get back to in about 9 hours. In the mean time, break loose a trans cooler line to see if you have cirrculation. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok ill do that thanks.
Do you have the 4wd turbo or the nonturbo 2wdThe tps must set a check engine lite code to have an effect. Did it? That is a long shot anyways. IF you have the awd, you may have an axle pulled out of the splines. Either way, since your transmission worked so well and then suddenly quit, I would be worth it to drop the pan and take a look. Do you have any noise? Did you check to see if the fluid is circulating. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 wd the sensor didnt work and i have to get to circulation of trany oil . oh and i have no back up lights when i put it in reverse huh,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 wd the sensor didnt work and i have to get to circulation of trany oil . oh and i have no back up lights when i put it in reverse huh, no noise
No back up lights may offer a ray of hope. Again, Let's pull down the transmission pan and take a look. First however, double check the wire connections to the transmission. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tomorrow ill do thatand what will i be looking for . ill check to see whats on pan thanks and ill get back to you thanks again.
OK Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i pulled trans line while running (both) and no fluid coming out . ialso pulled the trans oil pan looks ok . nometal pieces maybe i should pull off filter. also trans oil stinks
That sounds bad. Burnt fluid and no cirrucation. Did you have trouble installing the torque converter? You may have broken a metal sealing ring if the converter was not all the way in. Either way, the transmission has to come out. Sorry for the bad news. Robert. PS please click ACCEPT Thank you Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so why trans is not circulating and whats metal sealing ring . also how fluid get burnt and why car ran in the begining
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so why trans is not circulating and whats metal sealing ring . also how fluid get burnt and why car ran in the begining can i used this converter for next trans
The transmission apperantly has a gross internal leak. The torque convert is sealed agianst the front pump and forward clutch drum with metal rings, which arecast iron or plated cast iron. Not rubber. Very stiff, hold there shape well but are brittle and can easily snap if they are stressed the wrong way. I do not know why your transmission ran well at first. But I suspect it was tearing itself up. Clutch appling servos have rbber like sealing rings which cannot take much overheating without out lossing their sealing ability. We have ruled out anything that can be fixed without removing the transmission. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so u think converter is bad now , can i reuse it

No, that is not what I said. I think that it is likely that the torque converter was allowed to slip forward while the engine was out and then not properly inserted back into the transmission.That could break inner sealing rings that are behing the torque converter and behind the front pump. they are actually inside of the forward drum. It does not matter. We have checked and there is no pump pressure therefore the transmission must come out of the car to be repaired. Robert

Experience: ASE Master Tech/Smog Tech 35 years exp.