Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

hoses..smooth..driven..stop sign, and engine died and it would crank

Customer Question

1983 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
14,000 miles
30K mile service 3 years ago
clutch replaced
all hoses (fluid, not gasoline) replaced a few months ago
spark plugs and spark plug extenders replaced less than a month ago

not smooth unless at high RPM. idles rough and wants me to downshift too often
Most recent: After driven about 200 miles, stopped at a stop sign, and engine died and it would crank, but not start. Left it for about an hour, and returned, and it started up fine. Still runs rough, but it runs!

Put a container of Techron in gas tank about 75 miles before incident of engine dying.
Mechanic suggests leak down tests, and more diagnoses...

Diagnosis????
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 7 years ago.

My name is Dale.

I do not understand why your mechanic would recommend a leak down test when the problems you have described are obviously a driveability problem? Has anyone replaced the fuel filter in your vehicle? That is where I would start. The use of Techron is a wise thing to do. I have used Techron for years not only to clean out a engine and fuel system thats dirty but as a maintenance item to keep the engine running good before problems start.

Let me know about the fuel filter and I will try to help you diagnose the problem.

Sincerely,

Dale

PS-I am partially disabled and I subsidize my income by the earnings I get from my customers. I am available about 50% of the time and I must rest when I am not working for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, Dale

But, there was apparently a delay in Just Answer process as I simply got tired of waiting for a response, and turned the car into the repair shop this morning. Also, my request was submitted prior to the date Just Answer reported back to me, and maybe to you.

Also, Just Answer should have shared my message with you that there is no longer a need for an answer.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

John Musgrove

NO PROBLEM John,

I just picked up your question from the list. I am still quite puzzled why a technician would be talking about a leak down test. A leak down test is to check the piston rings and that is not what your problem is.

ANYWAY " DO NOT ACCEPT MY INFORMATION" otherwise you will be charged.

If you need some help down the road, you can reach me at: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19741685&FID=0

Good Luck with your Ferrari :-)

Sincerely,

Dale