Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette: starter is good, lights come..my van

My husband replaced the intake manifold gasket on my 2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette now the engine will not turn over. The battery is good and starter is good, lights come on but the starter whines..What is wrong with my van?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to asist better,does the engine turn over but is turning over slow or is it not turning over at all or at a very fast sped,did he getthe puchrods back in the same places they came out of and not mixed them up?Let me know,Thnanks Pete.If he didnt get them back in the same places he could have bent several valves and damged the heads and possibly the pistons.Then the heads would have to be taken off and repaired or replaced.This is a common oversight on these engines when doing the intakes.

Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Push rods were kept in same order and reinstalled that way. Engine is not turning over at all. Volt meter shows power at battery. Test of solenoid on starter returns a whinning sound as if starter is engaging but not turning engine. Interior of vehicle is receiving adequate power but turn of ignition produces nothing but fuel pump engaging.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
so you jump the starter and the starter spins but the engine doesnt spoin over at all and all of this happened after the intake was replaced,have you tried to see if engine turns by hand to make sure the engine will turn over,Let me know,Thanks pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, used socket wrench to hand turn the engine. It was tough to do but it did turn.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
well if its turning by hand but the starter is spining out when engaged io would think the starter is faulty here and may ned replaced,if its spining frely but not engaging the engine the bendix isnt grabbingg,why it faile dnow i dont know,hope this helped,let me know if you need anything else,Thanks Pete.