Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

pickup: instruments..dwell tester B. a multimeter C...ignition timing

Customer Question

1. Which of the following instruments is commonly used to test the condition of a spark plug wire? A. A dwell tester B. A multimeter C. A wattmeter D. An engine analyzer 2. If the air gap between the trigger wheel and the pickup coil in a magnetic pickup device is too large, the A. engine will be difficult to start and the spark efficiency will be reduced. B. ignition timing will be overadvanced. C. buildup time in the primary coil winding will be reduced. D. trigger wheel will rub against and stick to the pickup coil. 3. Suppose you need to adjust the gap of a spark plug. To do this, you would A. gently tap on the terminal nut of the spark plug with a hammer. B. unscrew the center insulator with a spark plug socket wrench. C. carefully bend the grounding electrode. D. pull on the center electrode with a longnose pliers. 4. A technician is using an oscilloscope to analyze the performance of an ignition system. The waveforms are stacked one above the other on the display screen. This method of displaying oscilloscope waveforms is called the A. imposed method. B. raster method. C. superimposed method. D. parade method. 5. Which of the following statements about spark plugs is correct? A. A hot spark plug easily transfers heat to the cylinder head, while a cold spark plug tends to retain its heat. B. Cold spark plugs have longer insulator tips than hot spark plugs. C. A cold spark plug is installed in an engine that has%2
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

1. B a multimeter can be used to ohm out an ignition wire as long as it is set to the "ohm" reading.

2. A

3. I would not use any of the methods... I would use a spark plug gap tester. But the most correct answer out of all of them would be C

4. B raster method

5. not sure I understand part C

Edited by AMEDEE on 3/30/2010 at 6:24 PM EST