GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1999 Aurora: has intermittent starting problems...Changed starter

Customer Question

My 1999 Aurora has intermittent starting problems...Changed starter, change entire ignition and now read that no one has ever solved the problem in 15 years.....
Got any new ideas
Doug
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. Was the ignition switch replaced or was the passlock sensor as part of the ignition cylinder that was replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was told by the mechanic that the ignition switch had been replaced. I do not know if the passlock sensor (part of the ignition cylinder) was replaced or not.

I read about hundreds of people on line who have had the same problem as I. It is peculiar that I can't find a solution anywhere. This problem has been around for years and years

Doug

OK, when it will not start, what do you have to do to get it running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I put the key in the ignition and turn the key. Lights come on and all the electrical part of the car seems to be ready ......except the engine will not turn over. I try turning the key again and again with no result. I wait for a couple minutes and try again...the same thing happens (no start)........I wait again

Then...sometimes 3 minutes and sometimes 15 minutes later I turn the key and the car starts. This is the same story countless other Aurora owners share on the internet.

OK, do you notice if the security light is flashing when it will not start? THese are bad for the ignition cylinder failing and not reading the key properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought the ignition cylinder had been replaced. I can check with the mechanic to find out for sure. Have you had this question before? Is this generally the source of the problem? Thousands ahead of me have had this problem....certainly someone out there mus know the answer.

Thank You...I hope it works

Doug

THere are many possible causes. Starter, wiring, relay, fuse block, PCM, ignition cylinder, Ignition switch, transmission range switch, BCM and the other security components. It is really hard to say which, but the security, wiring and starter are the ones I see the most.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hate not to accept your 10 different possibilities, however, there has to be one major problem since countless Aurora owners have had the exact same problem. You can merely type "Aurora starter Problem" into the web and read hundreds of problems exactly the same as mine. If you do not know exactly what has cause this same problem in thousands of Auroras I would like to hear from someone who is familiar with the problem.......perhaps an old Oldsmobile mechanic

What size is your engine?

I searched and I even found several different possible causes, starter, solenoid, sensors, and the list goes on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If your answer is "that it can be any number of different things", that is hardly an answer to my question. There appears to be a specific, recurring problem with the Aurora starter relays. I told you earlier that I spent a fortune replacing my starter and ignition. Auroras have a common starter problem. The symptoms on all Auroras are the same as I have described to you. I would like a specific answer rather than generalities....

OK?

Then I cannot answer your question. Not every car and issue is the same. I will opt out and let another expert assist you. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I would like a specific answer to the Oldsmobile Aurora starter delimma. The problem is well known and someone must know the specific source of the problem. If no one at your location knows the answer then please rip up the credit card.

I am not satisfied with your answer

Doug

I will request a refund for you and also request your account closed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Thank you very much. I sure wish you had the answer.</p><p>Thank you for the refund</p><p>Doug</p>
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please verify that my account is closed and no payment is due you.

Doug

I have sent a message. It may take a day or 2, but you will get your money back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks