Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

how to change head gaskit and cam belt on a 1997-8 mazda 323f 1.5

how to change head gaskit and cam belt on a 1997-8 mazda 323f 1.5 ltr
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 4 years ago.

My name is Dale.

Here are the models I have registered in my data resources. Is your vehicle model one of these?

626B2300
B3000B4000
MIATAMILLENIA
MPVMX-6
PROTEGE

Let me know and I will try to get you the information and pictures of the operations.

Sincerely,

Dale

PS-I am partially disabled and I subsidize my income by the earnings I get from my customers. I am available about 50% of the time and I must rest when I am not working for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi dale, the vehicle is not on your list, its a mazda 323F BA 1.5LX it looks like a sports car or is a sports modle

Thanks for that information. After a bit of investigation it ends up that the U.S. version or name plate here would be the Mazda Protege with athe 1.5 engine. Here is the procedure to replace the head gasket:

1.5L & 1995-98 1.8L (Except K8) Engines
  1. Relieve the fuel system pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Remove the right front wheel and splash shield.

4. Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

5. Remove the power steering belt shield. Loosen the power steering adjusting bolt, lockbolt and through-bolt and remove the power steering belt.

6. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and upper mounting bolt. Remove the alternator belt.

Exploded view of the cylinder head assembly for the 1.5L engine

Click to Enlarge
Exploded view of the cylinder head assembly for the 1995-98 1.8L engine

Click to Enlarge
  1. Remove the water pump pulley.

2. Using a holder tool, hold the crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley bolt. Use a suitable puller to remove the pulley, then remove the guide plate.

3. Remove the power steering hose brackets from the cylinder head cover. Label and disconnect the spark plug wires and wire clips.

4. Disconnect the breather tube and PCV valve from the cylinder head cover. Remove the bolts, in 2 steps, in the reverse order of the tightening sequence. Remove the cylinder head cover.

5. Remove the oil dipstick and bracket.

6. Remove the timing belt upper cover.

7. Use a suitable engine support tool, and remove the number three engine mount bracket.

8. Remove the timing belt middle and lower covers.

9. Rotate the crankshaft, in the normal direction of rotation, until the No. 1 cylinder piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft sprocket(s) are properly aligned and mark the direction of rotation of the belt.

10. Loosen the timing belt tensioner and remove the belt. Do not rotate the crankshaft until the timing belt is reinstalled.

11. Remove air cleaner assembly and front pipe.

12. Remove the exhaust manifold.

13. Disconnect the accelerator and throttle cables.

14. Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Remove the spark plugs and the distributor cap and wires assembly. Remove the distributor.

15. Disconnect the following hoses: Heater, brake vacuum, purge, fuel, water and upper radiator.

16. Label and disconnect the distributor/coil connectors, engine coolant temperature sensor connector, cooling fan coolant temperature sensor connector, and temperature gauge sensor connector.

17. Remove the camshaft sprockets and the camshaft.

18. On the 1.5L engine, remove the tappets. Identify each tappet as it is removed so it can be reinstalled in the same position.

19. On the 1.8L engine, remove the hydraulic lifters. Identify each lifter as it is removed so it can be reinstalled in the same position. If the lifters are to be reused, store them upside down in an oil-filled sealed container.

20. Remove the intake manifold bracket and the intake manifold.

21. Loosen the cylinder head bolts, in 2-3 steps, in sequence. Remove the bolts and the cylinder head.

To install:

1. Thoroughly, clean the cylinder head and the block contact surfaces. Examine the head gasket and check the cylinder head for cracks. Check the cylinder head for warpage using a feeler gauge and straightedge. The maximum allowable distortion is 0.004 in. (0.10mm).

2. Clean the cylinder head bolts and the threads in the block. Make sure the bolts turn freely in the block.

3. Install a new head gasket on the engine block. Make sure the camshaft sprocket timing marks are still aligned, as set during the removal procedure. Install the cylinder head.

4. Lubricate the bolt threads and seat surfaces with clean engine oil and install them as follows;

1. On the 1.5L (Z5D) engines, torque the bolts in 2-3 steps to 13-16 ft. lbs. (17-22 Nm) in the proper sequence. Paint a reference mark on each bolt head and turn the bolts, in sequence, 90°, and then an additional 90°.

2. On the 1.8L (BPD) engines, torque the bolts in 2-3 steps to 56-60 ft. lbs. (75-81 Nm) in the proper sequence.

5. Use new gaskets and install the manifolds. Torque the intake manifold bolts/nuts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) and install the intake manifold bracket. Torque the exhaust manifold nuts to 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm).

6. Use a new gasket to connect the exhaust pipe and torque the nuts to 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm).

7. Apply clean engine oil to the tappets and install them in their original positions.

8. Install the camshaft and sprockets.

9. Make sure the crankshaft and camshaft sprocket timing marks are aligned, install the timing belt and set the tension. Carefully rotate the crankshaft 2 turns to make sure the timing marks still line up.

10. Install the timing belt middle and lower covers, and tighten the bolts to 70-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).

11. Install the number three engine mount bracket. Tighten the nut to 70-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm), and the bolt to 14-16 ft. lbs. (19-22 Nm). Remove the engine support tool.

12. Install the upper timing belt cover and tighten the bolts to 70-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).

13. Install the oil dipstick and bracket.

14. Apply silicone sealant to the cylinder surface in the area adjacent to the front camshaft bearing caps. Apply sealant to a new gasket and install it on the cylinder head cover.

15. Install the cylinder head cover and tighten the bolts in 5-6 steps, in sequence, to 61-95 inch lbs. (7-11 Nm) on the 1.5 (Z5D) engines and 44-78 inch lbs. (5-9 Nm) on the 1.8L (BPD) engines.

16. Install the power steering hose brackets and tighten the bolts to 70-95 inch lbs. (7-11 Nm). Connect the spark plug wires and wire clips. Connect the breather tube and PCV valve.

17. Install the guide plate, crankshaft pulley and pulley bolt. Hold the pulley with the holder tool and tighten the bolt to 13-19 ft. lbs. (157-166 Nm).

18. Install the water pump pulley.

19. Install the alternator belt and adjust the tension.

20. Install the power steering belt and adjust the tension. Tighten the through-bolt to 32-44 ft. lbs. (44-60 Nm) and the lockbolt to 24-33 ft. lbs. (32-46 Nm). Install the power steering belt shield and tighten the bolts to 86 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

21. Install the splash shield and wheel. Lower the vehicle.

22. Connect the electrical engine harness connectors.

23. Connect the heater, brake vacuum, purge, fuel, water and upper radiator hoses.

24. Install the distributor, spark plugs, distributor cap and wires.

25. Connect and adjust the accelerator and throttle cables.

26. Install the cleaner.

27. Connect the negative battery cable. Fill and bleed the cooling system. Change the engine oil.

28. Adjust the ignition timing.

29. Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature. Check for leaks. Check the ignition timing and idle speed.

And here is the procedure to replace the belt:

1.6L, 1.5L & 1.8L (Except K8) DOHC Engines
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the timing belt covers.

3. Turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket aligns with the timing mark on the oil pump.

4. On the 1.5L engine, ensure that the Z mark on the camshaft sprocket is pointing straight up and the two notches are even with the valve cover gasket surface.

5. On the 1.6 and 1.8L engines, align the E and the I marks on the camshaft sprockets are aligned with the marks on the backing plate (they should point down and towards each other at approximately a 45° angle).

Cam and crankshaft sprocket alignment marks for the 1995 1.6L and 1995-98 1.8L (except K8) DOHC engines

Click to Enlarge
Cam and crankshaft sprocket alignment marks for the 1.5L engine

Click to Enlarge
  1. Remove the crankshaft pulley lockbolt and pulley boss.

2. Lower the vehicle. Insert a camshaft sprocket holding tool between the camshaft sprockets.

3. Loosen the tensioner pulley lockbolt. Pull the tensioner pulley away from the center of the engine to reduce the tension on the timing belt.

Loosen the tensioner lockbolt and pull it away from the belt to reduce the tension on it

Click to Enlarge
  1. If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt. Remove the timing belt.

2. To remove the tensioner, unhook the tensioner spring, and remove the pulley lockbolt and tensioner.

3. If necessary to remove the sprockets:

1. Hold the camshaft by using a wrench on the cast hexagon, and loosen the sprocket mounting bolt.

2. Remove the sprocket bolt and the sprocket from the camshaft.

3. If equipped with a manual transaxle, place the shift lever in 4th gear and apply the parking brake. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the flywheel dust cover and install a flywheel locking tool to hold the flywheel.

4. Remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt, sprocket and key.

To install:

1. On the 1.5L engine, install the camshaft sprocket, aligning the dowel with the letter Z mark.

2. On the 1.6L and 1.8L engine, install the camshaft sprocket, aligning the dowel (which should be pointing straight up) with the letter I mark on the intake side, and the letter E mark on the exhaust side.

3. Install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Hold the camshaft, on the cast hexagon, with the wrench and tighten the bolt to 37-44 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm).

4. Install the crankshaft sprocket and key. Align the keyway with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.

5. Install the crankshaft sprocket bolt. Install the flywheel locking tool, if equipped with automatic transaxle, or place the shift lever in 4th gear and apply the parking brake, if equipped with manual transaxle. Tighten the bolt to 116-122 ft. lbs. (11-20 Nm).

Install the timing belt onto the sprockets following the numbered sequence for 1995 1.6L and 1995-98 1.8L engines

Click to Enlarge
Install the timing belt onto the sprockets following the numbered sequence for the 1.5L engine

Click to Enlarge
  1. Make sure the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are still aligned.

2. If removed, position the tensioner with the spring fully extended, and install the lockbolt tightening the mounting bolt to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm).

3. Install the timing belt. If reusing the original timing belt, make sure it is installed in the same direction of rotation.

4. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 1 5/6 turns and align the timing marks. Make sure all marks are still correctly aligned.

Measure the timing belt deflection to determine if the proper tension has been set

Click to Enlarge
  1. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt to apply tension to the timing belt. Tighten the tensioner lockbolt to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm). Remove the holding tool from between the camshaft sprockets.

2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 2 1/6 turns and make sure all marks are still correctly aligned.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Install the crankshaft pulley lockbolt and boss. Tighten the bolt to 116-122 ft. lbs. (11-20 Nm).

4. Install the timing belt covers.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

I hope these schematics and procedures help you get the work needed on your Mazda completed properly.

Sincerely,

Dale

Edited by Dale F. Stockst on 3/30/2010 at 1:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am sorry iam between 2 jobs i rarley get a chance to have a look iwill get back to you soon i can please be patient with me i will not let u down

Thanks for the update my friend.

Do not feel pushed, I will just wait until you have the time as long as the moderator does not close the question. If you touch base every day or so they usually will leave the question open.

You sound like a very busy person. It's hard working people like you that make the world go around :-)

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- I would copy off the schematics and information I have provided you so far so at least you have a hard copy of the same.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank u dale

Just let me know when you are ready.

Dale

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi dale, you dont mention what sequence order the head gasket bolts should be taken off and what sequence order they should be tightened, i know they have to be tightened in a paticular order and sequence

graphic

Here is the engine bolt specifications. As far as the sequence. It really does not make any difference when you are removing the head bolt. When installing the cylinder head Always start in the center and move out in a circle. It is like rolling our pie dough :-) You want to spread the torque out from the center. Follow the torque specification steps that are in the chart I just sent you and you will be just fine.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Dale

Experience: 40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you dale have a nice day