Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora: automatic transmission..000 miles..it shifts

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with automatic transmission. The car has about 60,000 miles but I have been having this transmission problem for some time. Sometimes it shifts rather hard (slight clunky noise). When this happens I pull over turn the car off, wait a few seconds, restart the car let it idle for close to a minute and can usually drive off and it will shift fine. Seems to occur when I have not allowed it to idle a little after starting the vehivle before putting into gear and driving away. Transmission was serviced recently and did not seem to change the problem. Also do you know about strange noises from the steering column at very low speeds, does not seem to affect the steering of the car. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

This can be caused by a failing transmission pressure control solenoid, when it starts to go bad it will cause low pressure which would cause the hard shift and clunking sound. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dan,

I've read things that leads me to believe there is more than one solenoid. Is this true and if so can is there any way you can identify the culprit solenoid?

Also did you have any thoughts about the noise from the steering column. The more I read about the 2001 Aurora both of my problems seem to be common to this vehicle. But I don't read anywhere what is causing the problem with the steering column, I only read that there is a problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
The harsh shifting is usually caused by a dirty valve body or pressure control solenoid...It wouldnt be all of the solenoids. Since this is intermittent the only way to know for sure would be with a high end scantool by monitoring the solenoid and pressure....But without the scantool you would just want to replace the solenoid and get a flush. As far as the noises if your hearing a snapping or clunking its common for a failing Intermediate Steering Shaft to cause this problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dan,

I want to accept your answer and pay for it but can you tell me how to copy your response so that I can take it to my mechanic. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your quick and informative response but would sure like to know how to copy your response. If I need to accept and pay first that is fine, I just don't want to accept and finalize and then not have anything to copy. When I try to copy I only get a blank page.

Thanks,

Bud

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to print the page otherwise highlight it, right click select copy, open up word pad and paste it, then print it. Let me know if you have questions, you can reply even after yo uaccept. Thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database