Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

i have a 00 oldsmobile silhouette with a 3.4 engine which p0336

Customer Question

i have a 00 oldsmobile silhouette with a 3.4 engine which p0336 code keeps coming off the engine light goes off and they come back on later. i was wondering what are the steps to fix this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Sounds like a bad crankshaft position sensor, but here is the test for it with the diagnostic aids.

graphic

graphic

graphic

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
DTC P0336 can be caused by secondary components leaking high voltage into the Ignition Control (IC) module. Inspect for the following conditions:

• Incorrect harness routing near secondary ignition components.
  • Ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or IC module-Check ignition coils for:
  • Cracks
  • Carbon tracking
  • Other signs of damage
  • Secondary ignition wires arcing to wiring harness.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have erased the code and i change the crank sensor that is on the side by the exhust but my wife just call me and send the same code came back so you saying it has some to do with the spark plugs wires
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Not me...that is the manufacturer that says that. It is possible but not very common.

In step #3 you will need a scan tool. That crankshaft position sensor is in the front of the engine, behind the balancer. 24X

The one you replaced is

graphic

The one that may be the problem is

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
also this morning when i started it sounded like a miss fire even when i went on reverse it died.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
That could be related, or it could be a fuel pressure low problem. Normally you would want to repair any obvious, (trouble code) things before trying to diagnoses any running concerns.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Did you get all that? Please don't forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Are you for real?