Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2002 Kia Sedona: the fuel filter and fuel pump

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Kia Sedona. Just replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. It will not start. Acts like it is not getting gas. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be more than happy to assist you.

Lets see if it is fuel related. Do you have a can of starter fluid?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
If you spray starter fluid into the intake with the vehicle start for a second or 2
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
started but did not stay running
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Go to the under hood fuse box and locate the fuel pump reply. Put your hand on the relay and have someone turn the key on. Do you feel the relay click?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Already checked that. Substituted a fuse and still won't run. Could there be a short in a wire in the computer? Where is the computer located?
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
Go to the fuse box in side the vehicle on the passenger side. Locate the ENG 10 Amp fuse and see if it is blown
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check. It will be a while before I get back to you!
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do you tell if the fuse is blown?
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Pull the fuse out and look at it.

If it looks like this then it is bad.

graphic

If it looks like this then it is good.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not blown.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Then I really need you to do this. It will tell me if the computer is telling the fuel pump to kick on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will have to be tomorrow. Everyone has quit for the night!