Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

What does DTC Code p1529 mean? On 2003 Kia Spectra.

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
For the code p0121 click here for TSB.
As far as the p1529, this light is a problem from the transmission that turns on the check engine light on. The transmission range switch is possible to cause this.
I would advise checking if your vehicle falls under this TSB. Have the update done clear and recheck the codes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Need further explanation from your answer to have update done, clear and recheck the codes? What does that mean? What causes transmission range switch to have a problem? When the shop was fixing wiring for P0121 code he did something to cause transmission to not shift and then he got it to work properly. Could this have something to do with the P1529 code now showing up. Is car okay to drive? You are dealing with a femaile customer, hence all the questions.
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Well, yes if he did something to the transmission this code is more than likely from that. Like I said the code is just the transmission telling the engine light to turn on so it might be nothing.
When I say clear the codes and recheck what I mean is, Read the TSB I gave you above.
It indicated possibly needing to update the vehicle's computer to solve this issue.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it makes sense. Is updating the computer if needed done by a Kia dealership or qualified service technician from a local shop? That is not something the car owner can do themselves?
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
No, it's going to be a KIA only dealership repair. Unfortunately.