DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

Range rover..it wont turn at all. it is as if some security feature

hi
my 2006 range rover ignition is locked. it wont turn at all. it is as if some security feature kicked in. any ideas of how to deal with this?

Welcome to JA.

Is the battery good?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
battery seems strong - thanks
When you put the key in the ignition do you hear a click in the steering column whÍc is it unlocking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no - nothing. and the steering wheel is completely locked.
With this system you need to be 100 percent sure you have adequate battery voltage. If there is not the column will not unlock when you insert the key because it is electronic. If you have another key try it if the battery voltage is good to see if it is the key that is the problem. If it is not the key then you could have a bad exciter ring on the ignition switch not sensing the key when it is inserted. Pull the shifter knob straight up and off and pop up the shifter bezel it has clips and pops off. Pull the e brake boot off it too has clips that hold it. Then take out the 6 t-20 torx screws that hold the bezel down over the console. 2 in the front 2 in the middle lift up the console lid and take those screws out and pull it off and check the connectors on the switch. If you can have the body control module faults read it may have code for the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
wow - sounds a bit complicated for a guy (non-tech) like me. I was hoping that there was perhaps a simple fix that I was unaware of. Might it be some kind of a security/anti-theft function that has engaged ? thanks very much.
Unfortunately something like this can be complicated just check all of the fuses if nothing is blown then I would have the dealer check it out.