Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

need procedure for 2003 lincoln town car stereo removal

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi,how are you?Here is the procedure for the dash and instrument panel removal you might need to use all of this.

The instrument panel houses the controls for most of the electrical systems of the vehicle. The glove compartment is located in the lower RH side of the instrument panel. The LH side of the instrument panel frames the steering column and houses the instrument cluster.

Removal & Installation

1. Position the wheels straight ahead.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Loosen the lug nuts on the front wheels.
  4. Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
  5. Remove the front wheels.
  6. Remove the retaining nut in the radiator coolant recovery reservoir assembly.
  7. Remove the retaining bolt in the front fender splash shield.
  8. Position the front fender splash shield out of the way.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Tag and remove the wiring connectors.
  11. Remove the retaining screw in the parking brake control.
  12. Remove the parking brake control.
  13. Remove the retaining screw in the instrument panel finish panel in the lower instrument panel.
  14. Remove the retaining screw in the steering column opening reinforcement.
  15. Remove the retaining screw in the steering gear housing.
  16. Remove the tilt wheel handle and shank.
  17. Remove the ignition switch.
  18. Disconnect the upper steering column shroud and remove the retaining bolts.
  19. Disconnect the ignition switch assembly.
  20. Tag and remove the electrical connector.
  21. Disconnect the vacuum hose.
  22. Remove the retaining nut in the steering column assembly.
  23. Lower the steering column tube assembly.
  24. Disconnect the shift cable assembly.
  25. Remove the steering column shroud retaining screw.
  26. Remove the retaining screws from the multi-function switch.
  27. Position the multi-function switch out of the way.
  28. Remove the retaining screw from the cowl side trim panel.
  29. Remove the lower panel door trim, remove the retaining screw, and position the panel out of the way.
  30. Tag and disconnect the wiring connectors, and remove the ground wire assembly.
  31. Remove the retaining screw on the cowl side (RH) panel.
  32. Remove the lower panel door trim, remove the retaining screw, and position the panel out of the way.
  33. Tag and disconnect the wiring connectors, and remove the ground wire assembly.
  34. Remove the retaining rivet in the passenger side of the instrument panel.
  35. Disconnect the generator.
  36. Disconnect the radio feed of the wire assembly.
  37. Unsnap the I/P finish center (LH) on the panel assembly.
  38. Remove the radio chassis.
  39. Remove the retaining screw in the instrument panel, and position the panel out of the way.
  40. Tag and disconnect the wiring connectors.
  41. Remove the retaining screw in the air bag restraining module assembly, and disconnect it.
  42. Remove and disconnect the instrument panel defroster-opening grille.
  43. Remove the instrument panel to cowl brace retaining screw.
  44. Remove the instrument panel finish panel retaining screw.
  45. remove the retaining nut on the instrument LH lower finish panel.
  46. Remove the retaining brace.
  47. Disconnect the vacuum hose on the harness assembly.
  48. If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new instrument panel.

To install:

1. Installation is the reversal of the removal procedure. Check air bag indicator operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is no help - I just need to know where the screws are located that will allow me to take off the panel covering the radio - is there a picture of these fastener locations?

Ok,your question was "Need procedure for removing dash to remove car stereo",The panel covering the radio has snap clips,once you snap this piece off there are 4 screws holding the radio in place.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just tried your answer - although most of the covering over the radio/airconditioning modules can be "snapped" free - there are two screws underneath the panel just above the speedometer that must be removed also - let the nest guy know that - thanks, XXXXX XXXXX work for me.