Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

red light next to onstar came on no phone service maybe hardware

red light next to onstar came on no phone service maybe hardware how do i fix or do i have to take to dealer and what is the cost
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

When the light lights up red like this this is an indication that there is a fault within the Onstar system,this could be a number of different faults that could have turned this light on anywhere from a bad Onstar computer,wiring concern,antennae concern,etc.The best way to have this looked at and repaired is to have the fault codes read out to see which codes have set and then to have it repaired from there,I have had to replace allot of Onstar computers in these GM vehicles for this tye of concern before.The dealer would be the best place to take this into to have checked out as they have the right diagnostic scanner and knowledge to isolate and repair the concern.The Onstar and phone functions will be disabled when this happens and to have these systems operating again it has toi be repaired and the codes cleared out.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any idea what cost could be and where is this unit's location can I unplug and what will happen to other things like Raido ect
ed
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
I would leave it plugged in as the emergency feature most likely will still operate in case of a collision.If it is the Onstar computer that has failed they usually cost around $300 to $400 for the unit itself and usually an hour or two to install it and program it,this has to be done at a dealer as well as they have to order it.Im not sure of the exact location of your unit on your vehicle as GM sticks these all over the place depnding on the model and year of the vehicle,i wasnt able to find a description of the location or a picture for you.In most cases on the trucks and suv's they tuck them under the dash on the passenger side behind the glove box.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Pete