Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
9949505

95 rodeo: with a 3.2...I replaced the crank sensor.

Customer Question

I am working on a 95 rodeo with a 3.2. The ignition will not fire. I replaced the crank sensor. I have 12 volts coming into the ignition control module. I have a new icm here but everything seems to ohm out the same. any Ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Are you getting power to the coils? If not, check the coil fuse.
Also, try swapping the main relay with a like relay. See if spark returns.
graphic
graphic

There are 2 relay box applications on this vehicle. Here are both. Get back to me.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have power to the coils. I removed them and checked the posts so I know its making it the whole way there. I assume it is not getting the signal to fire. thats why I put the crank sensor in but it did no good
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried swapping relays?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I tried swapping them with no sucess. the 4 wires coming from the computer can you tell me what each one is for? or what readings should be on them? Im kind of wondering if there isnt an issue with the ecm. the car ran fine. she came out from work and tried to start it and it just cranks. Thanks again for the help
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
I am showing more than 4 wires coming from the ECM.
Also, is this just a no spark? Does the fuel pump turn on? Is the vehicle cranking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the fuelpump primes and it cranks it has around 40 psi on the fuel circuit. the wiring diagram that I had was a generic one it showed 4 wires going from the ecm to the icm
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you I will see what I find on these wires and get back to you

Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know,.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok I took these measurements at the icm. pin b8 is .07 with key on and .126 with engine cranking. b9 was actually changing on me. it started at .0 key on and 1.0 with engine cranking then it was .383 with key on and .8 with engine cranking, pin d5 was .26 with key on and .4 while cranking. d11 was .050 with key on and .2 with engine cranking. does this help you at all. if not let me know what you would like me to check and I can do it this evening. I have to head to work now. Im just working on this for my aunt. thanks again for all your help

Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
I'm just not that sure on this one. Beyond the specs that were included. I am starting to think the ECM is bad. Since you have replace the ICM and crank sensors.
Do you have another ECM you can swap it with? (like a junk yard one)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have one. I also did not replace the icm. I just took the ohm readings off the new one and everything seems to be the same. I forgot to tell you I put an ignition tester in line this last time and I do ocasionally get a spark but i think its at the wrong time because it seems to slow the crank process and it pops. I dont know if that helps you at all
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Well there is no check you can do on the ECM for no spark. Can you check for injector pulse?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have battery voltage on the fuel injector driver pins c11, c14, d15, and d16
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Are the injectors pulsing? This should be the same signal for the coils.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry I have been away this weekend. i hooked up a light at the injector harness and I still had my ignition light on. that ocasional spark I said about on the ignition is all the injector gets as well. both lights ocasionally light up but not more then 1 to 2 times in a minute I would say. I would crack it about 30 seconds and it may or may not light the lites

Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
I am at a loss. It sounds like a crank sensor, but you already repalced it. I will open the question to the other experts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thank you for your honesty and your help. do you know what the ohm reading should be at the crank sensor. It is possiblle I got a bad one or there may be a issue in the harness. I really dont want to let this go to some one else. you have helped me alot and I dont want to see you get nothing out of it. perhaps together we can figure it out I primarilly work on harleys, bmw, and american v8s but Im not clueless. I am actually a shop supervisor for Ryder adn I was a top level tech before that of course that was diesel but I think between the 2 of us we can figure this out
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
It's all good, for the crank sensor hook up a dvom and check for a square wave.
I would rather you get the right answer thanks for giving me a shot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well thank you for the help man