Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

Mazda 2003 tribute. Bad is dead. remote key will not unlock doors.

Customer Question

Mazda 2003 tribute. Bad is dead. remote key will not unlock doors. Tried key in door lock
and the key will not unlock the door. The vechicle has no other locks to try, just the driver's side door. I just want to release the hook latch so I can charge the battery.
Any ideas on how to get in the vehicle???
Category: Car
Expert:  Arthur Douglas replied 6 years ago.
You will need to call your local emergency roadside company, or a towing company. They can open the door with the proper equipment and, if necessary, jump-start your Tribute.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

I have seen this happen many times. People rely heavily on the remote key fob and don't normally use the key to open the door. What I usually do in this case is spray something like WD40 or another good penetrating oil into the key lock cylinder. Then take the key and work it in and out about 20 times. This will loosen the tumblers up and allow them to start moving again. Once the tumblers are moving you will be able to turn the key and unlock the door.

On some stubborn cases I use a key that is brand new (never been cut). This key blank will allow the tumblers to move fully in the bore and will break them free of the corrosion bond.