Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

How to reset the tire pressure monitoring system in Kia Spectra?

How do I reset the tire pressure monitoring system on my 2009 Kia Spectra?

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

It should reset after 20 minutes of continuous driving once the low pressure tire is repaired or replaced. If it does not, then the system will need to be checked by the dealer as there may be a malfunction with the system itself. Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had snow tires and rims put on without the sensors in them. The TPMS light has been on for three months. When I put my regular street tires on with the sensors in them, will the light reset after 20 minutes of continuous driving also?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

I suspect you will have to have the monitors "woken up". There is a tool required to register the sensors to the system. I believe most of the larger tire stores like Goodyear should be able to do this for you. Now I could be wrong, but if you drive it for 20 minutes or so and the light doesn't go out, you will know what to expect.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A guy from work that worked at a shop here locally said that there was a series of things to push inside of the car/dash to reset the TPMS??

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

I see nothing in the service manual or the owners manual to indicate that as being a true statement for this car. On GM models you can reset this via the driver information centre, but I do not believe this to be true on your Kia.