Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette: My problem started..stop light..hesitated

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette. My problem started when I was at a stop light. When I pushed the gas it hesitated. It seems that the problem happens only when I am pressing on the gas. It is acting like its shutting down then restarting. When I am coasting and not pressing the gas it doesn't do this. Sometimes when I am pressing the gas and its hesitating the battery light will flicker. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have some questions, please reply back to this thread.
1) Does it also lose power? Can you accelerate and drive it at all?
2) What about your Check Enfine light? Is it On or flickering?
3) Does you battery light flicker only when your engine is going to stall?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does lose power. I can drive it but I am not going to drive it anymore because its going to cause me to have someone rear-end me. -- I can accelerate. I have driven up to 55 mph but it will still do it. In order for me to get some type of relief I have to let off the gas. It only does it when I press on the gas. -- The Check Engine light has not come on at all. It came on a few weeks ago but I didnt have it checked. It only stayed one once and never came back on. -- Yes the battery light flickers when the engine is going to stall. -- I have taken the battery cables apart and cleaned any erosion, changed the throttle position sensor, and replaced the fuel filter.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
It sounds that you have a fuel supply issue. Your fuel pump may work but does not supply enough fuel to the injectors so your engine seems starving for fuel.
You should have it checked for fuel pressure . Normal reading should be 52-59 PSI with the Key On Engine Off and if you get lower reading, then you fuel pump is probably bad and has to be replaced.
I do not think it is an ignition system failure because it woul trigger the check engine light and set a trouble code.
Concerning the battery warning light, I suppose it is a normal condition since your Idle is too low when the engine is going to stall.
Let me know about you findings and do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.
Vlad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok. The fuel pump reading was 55 with the key on and engine off.

Fuel pump reading was 52/53 with key on and engine on.

There was a computer reading of 1811 for a transmission code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I looked up what 1811 was and my transmission has always shifted harshly every once in a while and it has done that for years so I don't think that is what the problem is now. Could is possibly be the fuel injectors clogged?

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Thanks,
Yes, it could be caused by the clogged fuel injectors, but I can't understand why it happened out of the blue.
I need more information:
Does it look like it is a trasmission issue?
Is your engine idling smooth?
Does it misfire if you slightly press the gas pedal while it is in Park?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine is idling smoothly. There is no misfire. I have had two mechanics look at it and we drove it but neither seem to think the problem is with the transmission. I am getting really aggravated. There are no other computer readings. I am running out of ideas.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Maybe you have a clogged catalytic converter, is there a way to have it checked for back pressure with a pressure gauge installed instead of the O2 sensor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try to get that done. I will let you know something as soon as I can. Thanks
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Ok, sounds good.
Have a good weekend and thank you for accepting my answer.
Vlad.