Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

2004 mazda 3: liter engine..intake manifold..wiring harness..PCM? what

I have a 2004 mazda 3 2.0 liter engine; 3 codes set CODES p0171, p0455, p0661- my question is about the code P0661- it is variable intake air solenoid - what is the best thing to do #1 should i replace the variable intake air solenoid or #2 does this model have an updated intake manifold that needs replaced - #3 can this be a problem with the ground wiring harness between the variable intake air solenoid valve terminal and PCM? what have you noticed on most of these vehicles?

This is usually going to be the actual solenoid has gone bad. It is turned on most of the time so it is highly likely that on a 2004 model it has finally shorted out. You can test the resistance of the solenoid to see if it tests open which would indicate it is bad.

Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hello Mazda Ed, sorry to bother again- I own a shop and I need to know for sure if this will fix the CODE P0661 problem - I already replaced the solenoid and the code P0661 has come back on (the other codes have not) Why would the CODE P0661 have any thing to do with this purge solenoid?- Do I need to replace the Variable Intake air solenoid valve or check the circuit ??? Does this Variable intake air circuit run in the same circuit as the evap purge solenoid??? Is this why I am still having the code P0661 after I have replaced the evap purge solenoid or do you think that the 2004 mazda 3 has issues with the intake manifold, intake-air solenoid and or the wiring circuit to the intake air solenoid??? (maybe the intake air solenoid needs cleaning?) what have you encountered with this same code P0661- can you give me info on what you have seen on these specific make of cars with this code???

thank you very much,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
please answer my reply; i already replaced the solenoid and the code has come back

hi there

did the code return immediately after solenoid replacement?

if so I would recommend a complete check of the wiring harness all the way from the solenoid back to the pcm

the only reason I suggest this is that I had a similar fault but with a camshaft sensor which i was positive was faulty (as it is a common fault) which turned out to be a damaged wire.

Just a suggestion in case you hadnt already done it.

Did you test the resistance on the solenoid?

Did you replace the solenoid with a new one?

Did you replace the correct solenoid as there are 2 mounted next to each other?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I replaced the purge solenoid only; however i did NOT replace any other solenoids the two that are placed together are the (variable intake air solenoid valve, variable tumble solenoid valve). Could the check engine light code p0661 be either the variable intake air solenoid vavle or the variable tumble solenoid valvbe??? what do you suggest? I thought that I could try cleaning the intake runners out?

thanks again for your help im stumped on this one (maybe ill do wiring harness resistance test - voltage drop test)

I'm sorry I should have been more clear in my first post. The solenoid I am referring to is the variable intake air solenoid. It is mounted on the front of the engine. Last I checked it comes as a set of both solenoids through Mazda.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok Ed, I will replace the variable intake air solenoid and the solenoid sitting directly next to it and see how it does. I appreciate your time and I will accept your answer as soon as I put these new solenoids in and test drive for the results.

thanks again,