Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2003 lincoln aviator: that recently started making a sound..going slow

I have a 2003 lincoln aviator that recently started making a sound when i back up -sounds like tension in a spring or something then a pop or crack. when i move forward after that happend -similar sound. this is only when going slow. Any ideas based on past experience?
I had one recently making noises like that and after a lot of frustration it turned out to be cracked brake rotors. They were very small cracks and both rotors had them. Really did not think it was going to solve the problem but if did. I can't say you have the same issue but if you can't find another cause that may be it. The cracks are very hard to see and just look like tiny hairline cracks.