Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Having trouble starting..its making a cranking sound likeit..enging

Customer Question

my car is having trouble starting. it's making a cranking sound likeit's wanting to start, but it's not turning over. as i was driving, i Yielded to turn onto anouther street, and i heard something pop in my enging, but not surewhat it was.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I think checking to make sure the spark plugs are still in the holes is a good first step and if they are the next step would be to do a compression test. If the spark plugs are good you likely have some major engine problems causing low compression. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thinking is not knowing, Mister. But, the spark plugs are good (i think, i don't know) but if not, can you tell me how to replace them?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Working on cars is always thinking, then testing to verify so you can know........You can just make sure the spark plugs are sitting in the holes and/or remove them to inspect them and if good next step is a compression test. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do you do a compression test? do you have to take it to a dealer shop?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You can go to your local parts store to barrow a compression tester and then you remove the spark plug, screw the compression tester in the spark plug hole and turn it over for a few seconds and check compression.......They should all be about the same and 100+psi. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, and can you tell me the locationof te fuel filter? what does the canister look like?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here is a picture of the fuel filter, I"m not sure what canister your talking about.

graphic