Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

83 porsche 944: it the guy said it needed an oil pump..used one

Customer Question

i have an 83 porsche 944. when i bought it the guy said it needed an oil pump. so bought a used one and took the old one off and put the new one on. now that i have the car back together and started it doesnt have oil pressure. i dont know what it could be.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Although that could be worn engine parts, (like the bearings) you will want to be sure that the oil pressure relief valve is not stuck opened. There was an update for them back then.

Oil Pressure Relief Valve - Revised
Notes
Subject: Installing New Type Oil Pressure Relief Valve When Repairing Older Cars
Model 924S, 944, 944 Turbo
Group 1
Part Identifier 1726
Number 8704
February 20, 1987

graphic

When repairs are made to the oil cooler or for oil pressure related problems, new oil pressure relief valve (Arrow A) Part Number 944 107 035 11 should be installed. This part will retrofit into all 944 engines from beginning of production 1983 through '86 models. It is important that the sleeve (Arrow B) be firmly installed in the crankcase. In addition, the oil cooler housing must be properly centered. Check with special tool P-9215 Part Number 000 721 921 50 and adjust if necessary.

Note:

Some 924S (early production cars) will have the former version piston and spring installed. When repairing them, the above mentioned valve should also be used.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. i will get back to you as soon as i check that.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Okay, also might want to just make sure that the cooler is not clogged up, (rare) and that it is installed correctly. thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it shouldnt be clogged. when we checked the oil filter it was dry. so its not pumping oil at all.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Did you prime the new pump?

Is the pick up screen clear of any sludge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we do not know how to prime the new pump. we thought you had to.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
I have never replaced one where I didn't prime it first. Normally I use a primmer tank for them. If you have it all back together, then you will want to try to locate a primmer tank. It is sort of like an air tank, which holds oil and has a hose that will adapt to the oil pressure switch hole. Once you open the valve, the engine will get primmed with oil. Then you can remove the hose, (put the switch back in) and when you start the engine, there should be good oil pressure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
try priming it and that did not work.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Did you check the oil pressure relief valve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think we are doing that today.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes there can be some debris in there and it will hold the valve opened and it won't get any oil pressure. Also, make sure that the spring is not broken.