carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models
12326834

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme: light comes..the reservoir level

Customer Question

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL
The low coolant light comes off and on, has for awhile now.
Until today the reservoir level has been fine.
Now I get a water temp light occasionally and my heat does not work (most fo the time).
Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.

Is the coolant level in the reservoir low right now?

Please let me know. Thanks,Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is low right now. I suspect an air pocket?
Okay.
Here is what I would like to have you do.
Remove the radiator cap and completely fill the radiator. Fill the cooler reservoir to the full line.

Now run your engine at about 1500 RPM for around five minutes until the engine temperature is in the normal range.
Once your temperatures in the normal range, shut your engine off and allow to sit for a half hour.
After a half-hour of sitting check the coolant level in the reservoir bottle. As you engine cools it will pull coolant from reservoir bottle and bleed out any air that is trapped in a system.

Please let me know how everything works out, and if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks, Josh
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have appointments with some realtors, but I will definately try that tonight and get back to you. I have done "automatic" bleeding on motorcycle brake systems but never on a car's coolant system.
That's no problem, take your time getting back to me. I know how busy life can be.

Please let me know what you find. Thanks, Josh
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Letting it cool down now, I wonder how the coolant got so low in the first place. I can't find a leak anywhere, and the oil cap doesn't show signs that it's burning any.

It is not uncommon to not see any signs of coolant loss if the leak is very slow.
After you have gone through the cooldown process and the system is now refilled, the best way to find the source of the coolant leak is to have the system pressure tested.

A pressure test will reveal the source of the leak and how large a leak it is..

please let me know how everything works out after the cooldown.

Thanks, Josh

carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So far so good. I will have the system pressure tested this week and keep an eye on the coolant level. It is way too cold to take it for a test drive now though haha. Thanks for the info.
I'm pleased to hear that everything is working out. Please let me know what the pressure test reveals..

have a great night. Thanks, Josh