Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

2001 Mitsubishi montero: front differential,I..goes away..whine..gear.

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi montero. I sometimes hear a grinding gear noise from the front differential,I then put it in four wheel high range and it goes away. After a while it starts again with a whine noise until I come to a stop,when it grinds and sounds as if to go into gear.Until after this,if left alone,I wont hear of it until useing four wheel again
thanks in advance
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.
this is often a faulty front axle actuator, the axle is not engaging or disengaging completly,Check if the vacuum actuator on the front axle is disengaging the axle from the drive shaft when in 2WD. The two vacuum hoses at the actuator should switch vacuum when going from one mode to the other. The Yellow striped hose should have vacuum in 2WD.
If not, check the voltage at the two vacuum solenoids at the right fender. The Gray wire should have B+ when in 2WD mode. If it does but no vacuum on the Yellow striped hose, the vacuum solenoid is faulty.