KBB
KBB, Technician
Experience:  3 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ON DOMESTIC VEHICLES. EXTENSIVE GM TRAINING ON GMC,PONTIAC AND BUICK .
14353791

2002 Alero: GLS..there have been some troubles with a head gasket

Customer Question

I bought a 2002 Alero GLS last Oct 2009 lot of miles about 70000 and I like it a lot. I have heard there have been some troubles with a head gasket that has had to be replaced. Can you give me any info on this matter or any other heads up on my Alero. Thank you. John W. Liddy e-mail TEN610@ AOL.com Phone 937-771-o198
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.
Head gaskets go bad occasionally on this , but not so terrible . What kind of the problems are you having with it at this time ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No other problems, only asking about question I sent before, are there any other we ekness es to look out for. Thank you. XXXXX XXXXXddy
Expert:  KBB replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomeron the oldsmobile aleros the head gaskets don't generally go bad but when they do it's on the right rear of the engine block. The one thing that you want to keep an eye on is the lower intake manifold gaskets. Over time they tend to leak causing an antifreeze smell and possibly over heating the engine. I have done several of these and have seen it numerous times. I would also check out the lower control arm bushings they look like a round hockey puck they like to separate from the control arm. As far as everything else it's just the basic routine maintence parts i hope this has been of some help to you. If you have any more questions please ask.

If this has helped please hit the accept button otherwise i do not receive credit for may answer. Thank you.

Edited by KBB on 3/2/2010 at 2:49 AM EST