DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

I filled my tank with e85 bu mistake, can I run it out, siphon it out

Customer Question

I filled my tank with e85 bu mistake, can I run it out, siphon it out. what can I or should I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

You will need to try to syphon it or drain it out. Worst case you may have to remove the fuel tank to drain it. Then after you do that I would pull the fuel line off at the fuel rail and cycle the key several times until you run all of the fuel out of the fuel pump and the fuel lines. Replace the fuel filter and then refill the tank with gas. Drive it and see how it runs you may have to drive it a while for it to clear up. Have the light check engine light cleared after all of this. You can have this done for free at advance auto or autozone.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before I asked the question I saw on line several similar questions with several replies. One said not to use fast exceluration. One said to idle out about 5 gallons and delute, I don't have the means ($) to pay someone to drop the tank. The $37.00 I spnet on the wrong gas broke the bank. I'm in a bad siuation, I tried to syphon out some gas but it wouldn't. I'm not a mechanic so the fuel rail thing I would have to have someone else do. The car will handle 10% so I may not have to clear the lines if I can get it syphon. Do I have any other options?
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
You could try diluting it with gas and keep running the car until it clears up. This may take more time than draining it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What damage could occur, the car only has 22,458 miles. To drain the tank you mean to drop the tank and empty it. Is there another way to drain the tank. It appears to be plastic and I don't see a drain plug. Time I have that isn't an issue, so is idling the car to burn off a few gallons an option? Can this be done without damage to the motor
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
You can access the inside of the tank from the inside of the car then you can syphon it out. If you are up to it I can give you the procedure. If not you will need to try dillute the ethanol down with gas and run the car. It should not harm your engine. There is not drain plug on the tank. If you have time like you said then I would just run the car until you can dillute it with gas.
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't feel comfortable running the car after it started to idle rough and then stopped. So with that I didn't trust your answer. I had to bring it in to the neigbor hood garage. They have it said it would take about an hour to drain the tank at a cost of $75.00
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll pay because I promised to
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Draining the tank was the first thing I recommended and you said that you didnt have enough money to take it to a shop.