George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2007 Hyundai Accent: says the timing belt is broken.

George H. was helping me with this, My step daughter has a 2007 Hyundai Accent. The is at an out of town dealer (Cheyenne Wyoming). The dealer says the timing belt is broken. The car lost power momentarily, drove fine for another 30 miles, was shut down and then would not restart. The dealer says: timing belt is broke, next stop is to pull the head and send it out for repair and it will be probably a minimum of $2,000 up to 3,000. Does this sound right to you. Repair seems her only option due to other factors. We are assuming she should get about another 60,000 miles out of this car that now has about 62,000 miles. Kelly

I will be glad to assist you further.

If you repair the engine you should have no problem getting another 60K out of it with routine maintainence.

If all they will do is pull the head you will have to go with what they are willing to do or have it towed to another shop. At this point you have no benifit from being at the dealer if they are not willing to cover this under the powertraim warranty if you were the original owner.

If you want to contact another shop you can call

Rocky Mountain AutomotiveXXXXX
Cheyenne, WY 82001

and they may be able to repair it for much less than the dealer will

If you do contact Rocky Mountain please tell them that an iATN member gave you their shop recommendation

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you