Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

1994 mitsubishi eclipse: liter..i just changed the timing belt

Customer Question

i have a 1994 mitsubishi eclipse with a 1.8 liter. i just changed the timing belt. i had all my markes lined up when i put the belt on. and yes i had the engine on tdc. i know why, did i even have the distributer off? well i was going to take the head off and send it to get port and polished but they told me it would be a month b4 i would get it back. so i changed my mind. so here i am. i keep puting it on tdc and making sure the roter button is pointing down and im putting the wires where the book told me to and i still cant get it right. i have fire to the spark plugs. i know cause i took each one off at a time and checked. and there is fuel cause its all over the spark plugs when i take them off.
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.
Is is backfiring when you try to start it or is it doing nothing at all ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not doing a thing. i dont know if it should be set difrent due to it being a electronic dist. i just dont know. i have tryed all i can think of.
Okay apparently we have no spark,. Check for B+ on the Red wire at the distributor 2-pin connector.
Verify that the other wire at the 2-pin connector, if present, is not shorted to ground.
Remove the distributor cap and connect a grounded jumper wire near the coil tower.
Connect one end of another jumper wire to the 5 volt reference wire (Green/Red wire) at the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor.
Tap the other end of the jumper wire to the Green/Yellow wire at the distributor 6-pin connector and check for spark.
If no spark, check the Black wire at the distributor 6-pin connector for a good ground.
If the ground is good on the Black wire, replace the distributor.