Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

My 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD (current mileage approximately

My 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD (current mileage approximately 26,500) recently stuck a curb with such force that it blew out the right front tire and gouged the wheel rim. What potential damages should I have a mechanic look for? I was told by the garage that replaced the tire that the wheels were knocked out of alignment, but what other things might have been damaged. I would like to take the car to a repair shop and have it thoroughly checked before my husband returns from his business trip (he normally handles my vehicle maintenance and repairs), but I don’t want to appear ignorant when I speak to the mechanic. Offhand, I suspect that there might be damage to the steering system and/or struts/suspension system. Are there any other items (brake system?) that I should have the mechanic check? Your help is greatly appreciated. email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

First and foremost get the rim and tire replaced, then have a full alignment performed on the vehicle.
Once done, have the mechanic measure the wheel well gap and compare the left to the right, looking for the impacted wheel to be pushed closer to the vehicle body than the other side.

Hard impacts like this can place light bends in the struts, causing wheel placement issues.
Inner tie-rods are common to bend during this type of impact as well, but should be obvious when the alignment is being checked.
On very hard impacts, I have seen lower control arms bent as well.. this is something that is hard to see just looking at it, the technician will need to use a tape measure, etc, to compare measurements to the non-impacted side.
The only other thing is check before repair is the impacted sides axle seal; On hard hits I have seen the impact disrupt the seal, creating a light transmission fluid leak which will worsen with time. It normally takes a pretty hard hit for that to happen though.

Once the vehicle is repaired and aligned, and wheel gap appears normal, drive the vehicle at highway speed, preferably with some turns as well, listening for noise from the impacted corner. An impact hard enough to crack/chip a wheel has the power to damage the wheel bearing as well if the angle is hit right. If the wheel bearing has been damaged, you will hear a rumble/howl noise at upper speeds.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi