danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

I have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator and the key will not release

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator and the key will not release from the ignition when the car is turned off. This problem has just started this weekend. I have tp "play" with the key in the ignition and toggle it back and forth several times before it will return as far as it need towe=ward the driver to be removed from the ignition.
What's the deal?
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

Your ignition key cylinder is bad you will need to replace this.

Removal and Installation

• When any new lock cylinder is installed, the driver door and ignition lock cylinders should be installed as a set. This eliminates carrying a key which fits only one lock. If a new key is used, the new key code number is XXXXX on a metal tag attached to the key.
  • Individual lock cylinders are repaired by discarding the inoperative cylinder and building a new lock cylinder using the appropriate lock repair package. The lock repair package includes a detailed instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.
  1. Remove the 3 steering column shroud screws.
  2. Remove the lower steering column shroud.
  3. Remove the ignition lock cylinder seal.
  4. NOTE: Lubricate the ignition lock cylinder before installation. With the ignition lock cylinder in the ON position, depress the locking pin with a suitable tool and remove the cylinder.
  5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the input but not ready to accept I need a new cylinder just yet. It was working fine since I've owned the vehicle up through this past Saturday night. I was rewiring the electric fan circuit on Sunday afternoon and maybe coincidence, but since that time and taking it for a test drive it's been giving me probles. Is there something "electronically" or something that needs to be reset due to the wiring procedure that could be making the key not release? I know that all these new keys with the fobs have there own codes, etc. Thanks
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
Other than the steering column shroud or the ignition lock cylinder seal be loose or getting in the way,I dont see that as an issue.