David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

93 Grand Cherokee laredo: 4.0L..going bad..vehicle intermittently acts

I suspect the fuel pump on my 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L is going bad. The vehicle intermittently acts like it is not getting enough fuel. The filter was replaced about 40 miles ago. I checked the fuel pressure yesterday and it was 21 psi. Removing the vacum line from the pressure regulator did not make any difference in the fuel pressure. I would like to know if there are any other tests I can run or other items to check out before I replace the fuel pump.
The pressure reading you got is too low. So you are correct in your assessment about the fuel pump.That is the best test to do when it comes to the pump. There is also a volume test that you could do of the pressure was in the normal range. A normal reading is in the 45-49 psi range. Looks like you'll need to replace that pump.