CurtisE, Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG, Airconditioning & Vehicle Diagnostics

99 kb320 LX...coil pack which I replaced and all was good for a couple

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 99 KB320 LX. It had water down around one of the plugs and damaged the coil pack which I replaced and all was good for a couple of days. It then began hunting when idling, anything from only a 250 rpm range to sometimes a full 1000 rpm range and sometimes stalls. This symptom is not constant but comes and goes. Along with this it sometimes just doesn't fuel when for example I pull off and change from 1st to 2nd. The car wont die but doesn't seem to get fuel and in a sense "hangs" as if the computer doesn't quite know what to do. Fuel consumption has rocketed from 13.5 l/100 town driving to 19 l/100. Isuzu say I must buy a new throttle body as the housing has worn and there's play on the butterfly. I have checked this with a diesel mach and this isn't the case. The inconsistency of the problem I would assume would point away from a mechanical issue and toward a electrical problem and I am assuming the parts to consider are the Idle control or Airflow. How do I isolate prob?
Category: Car
Expert:  CurtisE replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like symptoms of a faulty AFM (air flow meter). Try disconnecting the AFM and driving to see if fault has gone. The AFM is located in the intake piping between the airbox and throttle body.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Curtis. Thanks for your response. I have already tried that and I do realize that in many cases a vehicle does run with the AFM disconnected however in the case of the Isuzu it doesn't. One is unable to even start the vehicle, it just doesn't run.
Expert:  CurtisE replied 6 years ago.
It may be worth just replacing the AFM or borrowing a test one from a wrecker.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem is that a new one is R4000-00 and guys here don't just let you try out an electrical part, not even from a pay for an electrical part first with the understanding that you can't return it, new or 2nd hand, and then you take it away.
Expert:  CurtisE replied 6 years ago.
Yes that's correct.