Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

i have a mazda rx8. we just replaced the radiator in the vehicle

Customer Question

i have a mazda rx8. it was in an accident and the radiator was cracked. it was driven for about 5 miles, and the car redlined. i pulled over and had it towed the rest of the way home. it did start before i put it in the garage. we got the new radiator this weekend and installed it but now that car will not start. What could the problem be>?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Can you pull the lower spark plugs out and check for coolant please? Let me know if there is or is not any coolant on the plugs and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No there is not any coolant on them.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Have you gone back over the wires you disconnected to replace the radiator? Do you have a security light that is blinking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have gone back over the wires several times everything is ok. Only light coming on is the engine light. It cranks like it wants to start but doent turn over. This is a rotary engine vehicle.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Yes I understand it is a Wankel rotory, I love the rotory engines. I have had more then 20 of the rx7's and have rebuilt many of the engines. Please remove the key from the key ring and try to start the car again. Also double check for the security light, it should come on when you first turn the key to the run position before you turn the key to the start position. Also turn the key to the run position and let it sit for 5 min. then turn the key back off then try to stat the car.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you say remove the key from the key ring you meant take it out of the ignition right? what is the security light because this time a few different lights came on. but they all turned off. also nothing happened after i tried these suggestions.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I need you to take the key for the car off of any key ring you may have it on, so the only thing in your hand is just the key for the car no rings or attachments just the key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i tried and nothing happened.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Does the engine turn over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it sounds sooooo close to starting when i fist turn it. i try to hold it for about 5-10 seconds and it seems like it loses momentum the more time passes.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Do you have another key for the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do it will not work either
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried to lock and unlock the doors with your remote with the doors and hood closed?

Edited by JAMIE on 3/1/2010 at 5:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its ok it locks and unlocks trunk and doors. when the problem first occured this car shut itself down. after the radiator was replaced we have not ran any trouble codes on the engine. Do you think because the car shut down maybe some diagnostic code needs to be reset now that the new radiator has been installed?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
How long did it run after you replaced the radiator?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it never started after the radiator was replaced. thats what i am trying to figure out now why it wont start.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

The security system has been set. I need you to do this for me step by step.

take a pen a paper with you, turn the ignition switch to the run position and look for the security light. Do not try to start the car. Watch the security light, it should come on and go off after 3 seconds. If there is a fault it will start blinking. Count the blinks, there should be some long blinks and some fast blinks. tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to run out for a few hours. broke my ankle and have a doctors appointment i am in cst time its 1152 am right now. can you give me ur cell phone number and i can call you tonight at about 5 or 6 pm my time?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but giving you my number is XXXXX the rules of the site. I have no problem telling you but the site prohibits it. I will be back here around that time. It is 1:00 pm here so you are 1 hour behind me. I have to go to a captains meeting for gcda at 6:30 and will be back at 8:00 pm. Have you tried to unlock and lock the doors with the remote after the radiator replacement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i am going to re try everything we talked about eariler i will be online just hit me up when you get this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i ran through the list and nothing worked. when the key was in "run" position the dsc light was flashing because the power was cut off. When i turned the steering wheel both ways the light stopped flashing. We smell gas so we think it might be flooded and the spark plus might have been effected. Luckily i have another broken down mazda rx8 with brand new spark plugs sitting on the seat so we are going to try and replace the spark plugs and ill let you know how that goes..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok im here again messsgae me when you get online.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I am back sorry for the delay. What did you find when you replaced the spark plugs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not sure why they were suppose to notify me when you responded and i never recieved the response. Ok so nothing worked. But the check engine light i kinda watched it and this time something different happened. it stayed on for 20 seconds then blinked 7 times and stay on after that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jamie,

great news! i was reading some forums and it turns out i wasnt holding the key in start position long enough. After i gave the engine time to get a little warmed up from trying to start it black smoke came out all over, and it started up! YAY... took it for a ride let all that crap get out of the exhaust and came home turned it off and on again and its running. Thank you for your help and just tell me how to pay you the money for your assistance and i will gladly forward it to you.

Thanks,

Tracy

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
All you have to do is hit the green accept button that appears at the bottom. I am glad you got it running. Thank you for your patients.