Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

lincoln: piston..tire..finish chenging the brake pads and rotors

Customer Question

The piston is stuck out on the rear back tire caliper on a linkon mark 8 - how do i get it to release so i can finish chenging the brake pads and rotors
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am not sure I undertand when you say stuck in. Did you get the pistom back and now does not work? Please let me know where you are at ? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How to get get the piston pushed back into the caliper. I have done the following 1 - tried pushing it back in with a c clap. 2 - pushing it back in with the bleader open 3 - tried taping it back in with a hamer 4 - tried turning it as well. Non of these worked to get the piston back into the caliper.

Thanks for the help sir.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I understand. You need to be very careful with this type caliper. It is a self adjusting claiper in which there is a very fine mechanisim inside that ratchets each time you use the e brake to keep brakes adjusted. I am concerned that you used a c clamp as this could easily damage the internals of the caliper. There is a special tool required to get the piston to retract. You can buy this at most parts stores. the tool is designed in which it slips into the slots on the piston face and hooks on the caliper as well. You use hand tools to turn AND push at the same time. basically the tool will turn the piston about 1/4 turn clockwise and push with equal pressure at same time. To retract this style piston is hard to do without the tool and knowing how to do it. Anytime a C clamp is uded, it can jam the caliper thus you have to repalce the caliper. If it is still ok, and you do not have the tool or can not buy one, you can try turning tjhe piston about 1/4 turn to the right, then use a c clamp to apply some pressure and then turn, apply turn apply. If this does not work, you will have to get the special tool. If that does not work, you will have to replace the caliper. After pads are installed, you then need ot uses the e brake say 20 times for the piston to adjust again or you will have a very low brake pedal

Edited by Tracer on 3/1/2010 at 2:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Whats the name of the special tool?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for delay, it got late and i had to log off. It really does not have a formal name. , Caliper piston tool, caliper tool, etc below is the kit that AZ sells, but.. you can can buy a more basic one rather than full kit for a little less $

OEM/Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set
Part Number:
27111
Price: $55.00
Warranty:

1 YR