Andy, Shop Owner/Mechanic
Experience:  2 year as Automotive Repair Shop Owner and Mechanic, Throubleshooting and Diagnostics
30036621

2001 Mitsubishi Galant: it wont start again

Customer Question

Need help please! I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant that starts and shuts off ... i start it and it shuts off ... and this continues. sometimes i can get it to start and run for an hour or so, but once i shut it off it won't start again. has anyone has a problem similar to this that may be able to help me?
Category: Car
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

My name isXXXXX will try to help you.

What engine 4 or 6 cylinders?

Is there Check Engine Light is On?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi andy,

it is a 4 cylinder

yes, the check engine light is on

Thank you

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Have you got CODE scanned for Check engine light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi andy

no i do not

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest to have scan for code Autozone can do it at no charge.

You car starts intermittently, so there is since of fuel and spark presents. I would also suggest to check fuel pressure and injector pulses as well as spark when car wouldn't start. Also please tell me what already you have try, like replace any parts or check staff. With code this information will help to give you correct answers and lead you to right direction to fix a problem.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank Andy

will let you know monday

thank you

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

I will check site tomorrow during a day and be here entire evening. If there is more than one code just list me all of them.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi Andy

i got a code po 340

Thank you

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

I looked up P0340 for your car you will need full scan tool (not just code reader) to diagnosed here is a steps to tested:

1. Monitor both the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) while driving. Both should be producing a 5-volt square wave whenever the engine is cranking or running.

2. A loss of signal from either sensor may produce this fault code. Verify that wiring to the sensor is OK before replacing it. Both sensors have a Red power supply wire going to them. They both have a Black ground wire. The CMP sensor has a Blue/Yellow wire that normally has the 5-volt square wave on it. This wire should have 5 volts from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the sensor disconnected. The CKP sensor has a Green/Red wire that should have the 5-volt square wave, and it also should have 5 volts when the sensor is disconnected.

Possible ether would be Camshaft Position Sensor or Crankshaft Position Sensor or wiring, also possible if Timing belt or Timing belt alignment. This will cause car to stall or not starting. You can try replacing sensors with out a diagnostics I would start with Camshaft, but full diag will be preferred way of diagnose your problem. Since P0340 is a code for Camshaft Circuit Malfunction.

Please let me know if you need more info or wiring diagram or locations for parts.

Thank you,