Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

Alero: I spray starting fluid into the air intake..restart..fuel pump

My Alero is only turning over if I spray starting fluid into the air intake. Once it's started the car continues to run and doesn't shut off, but will not restart if I turn it off. The fuel pump is brand new I checked that it has power to it. Replaced the ignition coils because they weren't all sparking, but still having the cranking problem. I've heard it could be a problem with a sensor or with a mass air control. Thoughts?
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Is there a check engine light on?
Try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if the vehicle will start.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a "check engine" light on. Does that indicate the mass air flow sensor is the problem? If the vehicle starts with the air flow sensor unplugged, what's the new step?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX vehicle starts with the mass air flow unplugged, try cleaning it. You have to use a non harsh cleaner. The fragile wiring is easily damaged.
More than likely if cleaning the mass air flow sensor will not fix the problem, you will need to replace the mass air flow sensor.
I feel cleaning should do the trick. Also, they make special mass air flow cleaner they sell at Autozone. I would grab a can and also have them scan the codes on the vehicle. (If possible to drive). They will do it for free.
Let me know how it goes.