Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2002 Infiniti QX4: my SES light came..connector..local mechanic..drove

I have a 2002 Infiniti QX4 with 94k miles (regularly maintained) and my SES light came on last night while driving home from work. Just last week, I had a worn out battery terminal connector replaced at the local mechanic and immediately after I drove off the lot, my car seemed to idle strange when I let off of the accelerator. I would accelerate fine but when I took my foot off the accelerator the car would jerk a bit (felt almost like a downshift) and the RPM"s would go down. I took the car to the local AutoZone for them to run a diagnostic (I know that doesn't tell me much, but I wanted to see if I could get by with driving it this weekend before I could get it back into the shop) and the code came back as P0507--idle speed control system RPM higher than expected.

I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, but it seems odd to me that this happened immediately after I had the terminal connector replaced. What gives? Can I disconnect the terminals and let the system reset and reconnect them? I really don't want to drop the car off at the shop and rent a car if it is something I can do at my home.

Hi there! This happens when the battery is disconnected. You can try to do the idle relearn on it yourself. I will give you the instructions, and you need to do them all and time it with a watch with a second hand. Then have autozone clear the light and it should resolve the issue. Hope this helps!

. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".

a. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
b. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.
c. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
d. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.
e. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON'.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Check that all items listed under the topic 'PREPARATION' (previously mentioned) are in good order.

5. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' and wait at least 10 seconds.

6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.

7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.

9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

11. Wait 20 seconds.

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, the result will be incomplete. In this case, more test needs to be done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Didn't work the first time...but I'll try again a little bit later. My only question is on #8...the SES light never blinks but rather it is always ON. So in regards XXXXX XXXXX should I depress the accelerator pedal until it just goes off?

It should blink. Even though it is on, you should see it blink and then go on solid. If it is not blinking then it isn't getting set into the programming mode.

You can try this. Disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. This should clear the memory so the light isn't on, then redo the procedure.

This is the toughest way to do this. The easiest of course would be the dealer scan tool. Hopefully you can get it to happen this way and not have to take it in to resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I disconnect both terminal connectors or just one. And if both...should one be done before the other?
You can just disconnect 1 and use the negative terminal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to try that and if it doesn't work, I'll take it into the mechanic Monday morning. I wouldn't think it would be a timely or costly repair, do you? When replacing batteries/connectors, should this not have been done anyway if it is a common problem? Thanks for your help...I do appreciate it.

Well, A: no it should not cost you much if at all

B: it is 50-50. I say this because just disconnecting the battery for a short time will not reset the electronic throttle body. It had to be off for a while. Also, he may not be able to do the relearn without the factory scan tool. Working for the dealer I have always had the right equipment to reset it after the battery has been disconnected for an extended period. I suspect your mechanic won't charge you for this.

Thank you for the accept and positive feedback!