OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

2002 Kia Spectra: the check engine light I put the analyzer

My 2002 Kia Spectra shows the "check engine light" I put the analyzer on the computer and got code 1404. How can I fix it.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The P1404 codes is not going to be a simple fix. It can be very involved in pinpointing the exact fault.

P1404 - Evaporative system diagnostic leak detection module heater control circuit.

The leak detection module is located under the vehicle by the fuel tank and has a 4-cavity connector. It is used to test the evaporative system for leaks after the engine is off and it pumps pressure into the system to look for leaks and the heater keeps moisture from freezing in the unit. First verify there is good battery voltage to the 4-cavity connector on the Red/Yellow wire with the ignition on. If there is a voltage problem check the wire harness and connections.
If the voltage is good the Engine Control Module (ECM) will ground the Blue/Black wire and the heater should operate and draw approximately 0.3 amps of current flow. Check the wire harness and connection if the heater circuit works and draws the correct amperage when the Blue/Black wire is grounded.
If the heater is faulty in the leak detection pump then replace the pump assembly
It is common for harness colors to not be correct on a Kia vehicle. If there is good voltage to the leak detection module, back probe and ground one wire and the pump should run, ground another wire and the solenoid should click and the 3rd wire is for the heater circuit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I will check this out and get back to you.

You are welcome, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I test AND FIX a 1404 code if it is a heat leak detection module or a stuck open throttle position sensor or could you suggest something else it may likely be? Thank you!

It's most likely the module that is gone.

The leak detection module is located under the vehicle by the fuel tank and has a 4-cavity connector. It is used to test the evaporative system for leaks after the engine is off and it pumps pressure into the system to look for leaks and the heater keeps moisture from freezing in the unit. First verify there is good battery voltage to the 4-cavity connector on the Red/Yellow wire with the ignition on. (use a multimeter or voltmeter to check if there is 12v there.)

If the voltage is good the Engine Control Module (ECM) will ground the Blue/Black wire and the heater should operate and draw approximately 0.3 amps of current flow. Check the wire harness and connection if the heater circuit works and draws the correct amperage when the Blue/Black wire is grounded. (use a multimeter to check if there is 0.3 amps there, if not you will need to replace the module).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, Lets see what happens now. Thanks