Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1997 chevy: is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd..transmission filter

Customer Question

my 1997 chevy silverado is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, will a transmission filter help
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I would have to say no it will not help. The most likely cause of your problem will be a bad separator plate for the valve body and the epc solenoid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does that mean i need to take it to a transmission shop or is it something i can do my self ( where are those parts located)?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

The separator plate is between the valve body and the case of the transmission, and the epc is mounted in the valve body. These should be replaced at a trans shop if you have not had much experience with the inside of a trans. There are check balls that have to be put back in the correct place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i continue to driveit will the transmission strat slipping or start jerkin in other gears?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
it more than likely will not but the jolt of the hard shift can cause the drum to be damaged and then you would have to have the trans rebuilt. Better to spend a little now then a lot latter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last question, this is the first time i have used this site and i signed up for a free trial, if i press accept answer will it charge me, it said the site couldnt pay you if i didnt accept and you've been a god sent so i want to make sure i know what im suppose to do next
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

Yes this is a pay site. If you hit the accept button you will be charged.

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
At least I think you will be. I might be wrong. best thing to do is to hit the help button at the bottom of the page and ask the moderator what will happen.