Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 mitsubishi eclipse spyder: the shifting solenoids..3.0 V6

Where are the shifting solenoids on a 2001 mitsubishi eclipse spyder, 3.0 V6 Sportmatic 4 speed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here is a picture, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

looks like they are under the shifting cable.... Heres what happened. Driving up a freeway on ramp, about 45 as the car shifted to 4th, it started rocking violently back and forth. The dash indicator light was flashing between Drive & Neutral and then i lost the whole transmisson. No drive or reverse, went home on a flat bed. My code reader says "Shift Malfunction Solenoids C & D" The mitsubishi dealer says the transaxle needs dropped to change the solenoids but im hearing contradicting stories. Im a 20 yr press mechanic and have no trouble doing the work myself, I just need to know where they are located and what i have to go through to change them.

Thanks Randall

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
What is the actual number of the codes your getting? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cannot seem to find the actual codes but i am sure of what the definitions of the codes were "malfunction shift solenoid C" and "malfunction shift solenoid D".
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Well here is a picture of other solenoids, but none of them are listed as C or D so if possible get the codes checked again and give me the numbers and I can tell you which solenoids. Let me know if you have questions or when you get the code. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The battery, parts, and wiring have been removed from and around the transaxle. The transaxle has only 8 bolts left to remove it. So i wont be able to get the codes read again. But I am looking for the paper that i wrote the exact number and definition down on. But im almost positive it said C & D. Ill go look for it right now.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Well typically A, B, C, D is the same as 1, 2 , 3, 4......Solenoid C would be the overdrive solenoid valve and D would be the Low and Reverse Solenoid Valve. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that sounds right. Once you put the car in 1st gear there is about a 5 sec pause then the car slams into gear pretty hard. The exact same thing in reverse. It has a pause then slams in. The other problem is from 2nd to 3rd, again a pause then goes into gear. So i plan on changing all of them since ill be in there anyway. they are $75 ea. Now how do i get to these solenoids? Thru the transmission pan?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Correct, through the transmission pan but the transmission pan is on the side of the transmission so you may need to drop the transmission partially or even fully to remove the pan. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It looks like the pan will come straight off without doing any thing to the transaxle. There is at least 6 inches clearance in front of it. Is there someone that you can check with that would know if the transaxle needs dropped. I dont want to remove it if i dont have to.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If it looks like there is enough room you should be fine and you have nothing to loose by trying to remove the pan first. The manual I have just shows dropping it but that doesnt mean its the only option. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database