TTVN
TTVN, Performance & diagnostic technition
Experience:  Motor Mechanic for 18 years, specialising in diagnostics, tuning, engine building, LPG ,Turbos etc
30678026

Hi I HAVE A 2001 SKODA FABIA 1.4 COMFORT MODEL WHICH HAS DONE

Hi
I HAVE A 2001 SKODA FABIA 1.4 COMFORT MODEL WHICH HAS DONE 37000 MILES.tWO DAYS AGO THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT CAME ON ON DASH BOARD AND DOES NOT GO OUT.cHECKED ENGINE OIL WHICH WAS VERY LOW,TOPPED ENGINE OIL,LIGHT STILL ON.iS THRE IS ANY WAY i CAN TURN THIS LIGHT OFF.
aLSO i HAVE A 2002 HONDA ACCORD 1.8 VTEC SPORT WHICH HAS DONE 80000 MILES.dO YOU IF THIS CAR HAS A CAMBELT AND IF SO WHEN SHOULD IT BE REPLACED.IS THERE ANY HARM TO ENGINE IF I DONT REPLACE THE CAMBELT.
Category: Car
Expert:  TTVN replied 4 years ago.
Hi there
Your engine light will not go out until the fault has been rectified or until the problem is no longer recognized as a problem if fault parameters for the offending sensor etc come back in range

The vehicles ECU will store the fault code which can only be read and erased with a diagnostic scan tool for your model

From the ECU scan the offending item can be traced via the diagnostic code shown

This is not an owner serviceable operation unless you have access to a diagnostic tool

As for your Honda yes it is fitted with a timing belt and if the belt is not changed within the manufacturers recommended service period your timing belt can break leading to catastrophic failure of the engine and needing replacement or expensive cylinder head repair at the very least

recommendations vary for t/belt min replacement intervals

recommendations are 60,000 miles or 5 years whichever occurs first to 72,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first

obviously the lower is much safer for you

Thanks Rod
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for the answer.I have read that the battery can be cut off and then reconnected which will reprogramme the ecu.will this work

Expert:  TTVN replied 4 years ago.
Hi again
Disconnecting the battery will cause the ecu to have to relearn basic parameters and in some vehicles does reset the ECU

However in your case the ECU will keep the code stored in its flash memory and will have to be erased with diagnostic scan tool

Whether or not the engine light will go out until the problem occurs again will depend on the actual fault that is logged....as sometimes the light will go out on its own when regular running parameters are sensed

Should you contemplate battery terminal removal make sure you have your radio security code to put back in so you can use the radio if yours is security coded unit

Thanks Rod
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

If this light stays on does it cause any problem for the engine.the engine is topped with oil and coolant is topped up as well.The engine still runs smoothly and auto gear works ok.I just bought this car and I feel very angry the car is giving me a headache within just a week..Also the power steering light is coming on and goes off when you restart the car.Just want to get rid of this car.

Expert:  TTVN replied 4 years ago.
It is impossible to say without knowing what code it is throwing
If the engine still runs OK it is probably in limp mode which will give reduced performance and reduced economy until the part that is causing dramas fails outright
thanks Rod
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I agree with you answers and I have contacted the dealer who quoted £ 80 for just checking codes.I was not happy and I tried searching the internet and found another possibility for the light to come on which you had not suggested.I tried that and the light has gone off.I did it myself and did not spend anything.For this reason I am not happy to pay the £9.But I am happy tp pay £5 for suggesting some answers to my question.

Thank you

Expert:  TTVN replied 4 years ago.
No problem my friend , you are not obliged to pay unless you are happy.
From a distance it is difficult to pinpoint problems in connectors etc However i am pleased you have fixed your problem.

Thanks Rod
Experience: Motor Mechanic for 18 years, specialising in diagnostics, tuning, engine building, LPG ,Turbos etc