Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
9949505

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora: The Heater And AC Is Not Working What Do I

I Have A 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora And The Heater And AC Is Not Working What Do I Have To Do
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Is it just the blowe fan that is inoperative?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But Both Of The Fan Are Up And Running On The Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
The fans in the front of the radiator are working you mean?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that is what i mean
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX fans at the radiator are different than the fan for the blower motor. So even though those fans work, the blower could still be out.
Saying that, let's fix the blower motor.
Check the Gray or Gray/Black wire and see if changing the blower speeds will affect the voltage on that circuit. Ground the Brown wire at the blower motor and see if the motor will run. If the motor is getting power and will not run, replace the blower motor.
The blower is behind the glove box.
If it needs to be replaced,

BLOWER MOTOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the right side sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
  2. Pull back the carpet near the blower motor.
  3. Remove the IP compartment. Refer to Storage Compartment Replacement - IP in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
  4. Remove the Dash Integration Module (DIM) from bracket.
  5. Remove the two rear DIM bracket screws.
  6. Reposition the DIM bracket to allow for removal of the blower motor.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the blower motor.
  2. Remove the blower motor retaining screws (1).

1. Lower the blower motor and rotate counter clockwise to remove from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the blower motor. Blower motor will need to be rotated to install into the housing. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the blower motor retaining screws (1). Tighten Tighten the screw to 1.4 N.m (12 lb in) .
  3. Connect the electrical connector (2) to the blower motor.

1. Reposition the DIM bracket to its original position.
  2. Install the two rear DIM bracket screws.
  3. Install the DIM into the bracket.
  4. Install the IP compartment. Refer to Storage Compartment Replacement - IP in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
  5. Reposition the carpet.
  6. Install the right side sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it is not that air comes out but theres no heat
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Ok the heating system is a different fix than the a/c so let's fix the heater first.
Next get the vehicle warm,
graphic
This picture is just one hose there are 2. Make sure the hoses are getting warm.
Let me know. The coolant hoses are the 2 hoses that go into the firewall. Passenger side, under the hood.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay so what do i do after that

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Depends if they are warm. If they aren't warm at all, check the coolant level and replace the thermostat.
If one is warm, flush the heater core and the cooling system.
If both are warm, you might have a temperature door broken.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay bothof warm so now what do i do and what is a temperature door

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Are the control on the dash working ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they working ok
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX dual climate control? Is one side getting more heat than another?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have no heat at all and no it it is one climate control

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
I am trying to find some pictures, to make sure you cant adjust drivers side and passenger side temperature separate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
All I am finding is pictures of is a dual climate system. (drivers and passenger temp control) bear with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the passenger does have a climate system sorry about that

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX remembered that is the only option they come in.
You need to access the HVAC box behind the glove box. The mode actuator is the part I am suspecting.graphic

Notes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the left air temperature actuator.
  2. Remove the mode actuator retaining screws (1).
  3. Remove the mode actuator.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Align the mode valve levers with the cam slots.
  2. Install the mode actuator. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the mode actuator retaining screws (1). Tighten Tighten the fasteners to 1.4 N.m (12 lb in) .
  4. Install the left air temperature actuator.
  5. Recalibrate the actuators. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators in Body Control Modules System.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay one other thing i did a Toneup on my car and i want the check Engine light off
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
That's no problem. If you need the engine light off you can do 2 things, remove the battery. Or go to Autozone and have them use a scan tool to do it. They should do it free. Just tell them you want it scanned. Was the light on before you did a tune up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it was not
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
OKay, just to be safe take it to Autozone and have them read the code and clear it.
Make sure there isn't anything wrong. (probably not) If you don't want to drive. Just remove the battery a few minutes.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone