Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator with 66k miles. The gear shift

I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator with 66k miles. The gear shift was behaving in a very balky fashion. Had a local mechanic look at it and he found a broken piece of plastic inside the gear shift knob. Without that piece of plastic in place the gear shift button will not engage a rod inside the shifter. Knob must be off the shifter and rod lifted by hand to move from park to reverse, forward, etc. Rod must be pushed down when car is in park to remove the key. Mechanic checked with local Lincoln dealer for kit to repair shift knob and told one didn't exist. A whole new shifter assembly must be purchased for $900. He already had 24 on back order with a month's wait. What is the deal with this? Has Ford/Lincoln Mercury done a recall on this things yet? How can this be repaired simpler and less expensive when I virtually need a $5 piece of plastic?

Dennis R.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dennis.

I have run into this, and it is something that happens. The last one I got was from a salvage yard because my client needed to get going. I was lucky it came out of a fresh kill and I know the guy at the yard{my oldest boy dated his daughter a few years ago} so I got first pick.

Sometimes back order can mean a week or months. As far as a safety thing/recall issue. I checked and there was one on a shift cable adjuster strap that would affect the indicator, but not shifting ability.

Below is the NHTSA site for Tech Service Bulletins on your vehicle.

If you want to file a complaint, here is the link for that at the NHSTA

Sorry for your troubles. It is times like this that I am not very happy w/ this business.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately your answer didn't help at all. I have seen the same cable recall and I have considered the boneyard for a replacement. I of course hoped for a fix on repairing the actual shifter handle.

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Dennis. Jag has a terrible issue, on the S series, replaced a couple of them; however, Jag can still get them. My supplier had 2 on the shelf. $675 each.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jag? I think you're mixing up my question about the Lincoln with someone else.

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
No, I am saying that the Jag S is having shifter issues also with plastic internal pieces breaking and only being able to replace the entire assay.