OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

2000 Hyundai Sonata: The running lights stay..full power..beams

I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata. If you leave the lights on, shut off the vehicle and get out, there is no warning tone. The running lights stay on (not the full power beams), which means its more difficult to notice that the lights were left on. Both of these things are a minor inconvenience resulting in a dead battery, which also wouldn't be so bad except EVERY time the battery dies in this car, it destroys the battery. I've tried a few different types of batteries, but whenever I leave the lights on, it destroys any battery. I've offset the financial burden of this by buying warrantied batteries (replaced for free when the cells get ruined by the car) but nothing can offset the major inconvenience it is to have car that has a dead battery that can't be jumped. Any explanation/remedy?

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

That has to be a faulty DRL module. The DRL module (day time running light module) is supposed to turn the lights on/off as you turn the car on/off. If the lights are staying on, that means that the DRL module is not turning them off. Also the noise not being there is not relevent, because the noise should not be there when the DRL stay on, because they are not supposed to stay on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lights don't stay on by themselves; this is only a problem when they get left on, which happens relatively often because 1) there's no warning tone when they get left on and 2) they don't stay on at full power, but as running lights (which aren't DRL). Also, why does the battery get destroyed EVERY time?

Do the other sounds work?

(such as when you drive and take the seat belt off, does it make the beeping noise?)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, all the other warning sounds work as far as I've noticed.

Thank you.

Okay here is the deal.

The beeper is fed by a signal from the tailight relay to the body control module that in turn signals the gauge module that sounds the beeper.

I would have to say if everything else looks ok-door switches ok, key beeps when you put it in the ignition, the tail lights work, then the fault is in the module .

Edited by OnlineHelp on 2/21/2010 at 11:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
And how do I go about replacing said module? Is that something I could do myself? Where is it located?